Chocolate Cake Shake

Chocolate Cake Shake: blended ice cream with chocolate frosted cake #copycat #portillos
Every family has its quirks. Some of those quirks you think are just normal, until of course other’s point out those quirks as “odd” or “flawed” or just plain “weird.”
I grew up thinking “cake soup” was normal.
Birthdays were an awesome time, not because of the presents, but because of the plain chocolate cakes with white frosting. That we ate in a bowl. With milk poured onto it.
Yes, cake soup.
There were a few cousins and others in the family who thought it was odd, but for the most part, this is just what my family did.
Then I went out in the real world. And in the real world, apparantly, people don’t eat birthday cake in bowls. With milk. In the real world, people like their cake on a plate, with a glass of milk. Talk about odd.
I would TRY so hard to make people understand, and taste my “cake soup.”
Most of the time I just got weird looks.
Then, one glorious day last year, my brother told me about Cake Shakes. From Portillo’s. Portillo’s is the BEST fast food in Chicagoland, with the BEST Italian beef sammies, french fries and chocolate cake.
Guess what they did with that chocolate cake?
Yep, they blended it right into a chocolate shake.
Want to know what it tastes like?
A bowl of cake soup.
Finally, I feel like people get me. When they give me strange stares, all I have to say is, “it tastes like a Portillo’s cake shake.”
Next time you make a cake, instead of throwing away the leftovers (do people do that?) or eating them all at once (that’s what I do), stick a few slices of cake in the freezer. For this moment. You will thank me.
And start eating your cake in a bowl with a big splash of milk. Be sure to pass that tradition on to your children!
Like this recipe? check out these….
Caramel Coffee Milkshakes by Shugary Sweets
Pumpkin Pie Milkshakes by Tidy Mom
Chocolate Chip Cookie Kahlua Milkshakes by How Sweet It Is
Chocolate Cake Shake

Rating: 51

Yield: 2 servings

• 6 scoops chocolate icecream
  • 1 big slice (about 2 cup) chocolate cake, prepared with chocolate frosting
  • splash of milk

1. In a blender, combine ice cream with chocolate cake, crumbled. Add milk and blend. Makes two servings. ENJOY!

57 Responses to “Chocolate Cake Shake”

1. posted Aug 8, 2012 at 12:06 pm

My parents & siblings always did that! They, in turn, passed it on to my children.

I don’t think it’s weird. It’s normal to some of us!

• posted Aug 8, 2012 at 12:15 pm

I’m so glad to hear others are normal too :)

2. posted Aug 8, 2012 at 12:22 pm

Brilliant! I can’t wait to try this!!

3. posted Aug 8, 2012 at 12:34 pm

My little brother loooooves chocolate cake shakes from Portillo’s! His bday is around the corner so I think I figured out his present! I am a huge Portillo’s fan too! Love their cheese fries, beef, hot dogs, even the chopped salad are all so good!

• posted Aug 8, 2012 at 9:38 pm

I don’t think there is anything on the Portillo’s menu I don’t like! I think your brother will love this!

4. posted Aug 8, 2012 at 12:43 pm

This looks perfect! My dad always eats pie, cake, etc. with milk on it…that’s more common than I thought!

5. posted Aug 8, 2012 at 1:27 pm

Yummy! I can’t wait to try this! it looks deliciousss

6. posted Aug 8, 2012 at 1:38 pm

I made a cake batter milkshake a few weeks ago – you used real cake. I LOVE the way you think! NICE!!!

7. posted Aug 8, 2012 at 1:39 pm

I love this! That combination of delicious ingredients can never be bad or weird :)

8. posted Aug 8, 2012 at 1:58 pm

I have never heard of eating cake cake-soup style, but I’m definitely eager to try it now! It actually sounds good to me, and so does this gorgeous milkshake! I love that big ol’ hunk of chocolate cake nesting on the side. Looks way better than any orange hanging off the side of a glass, don’t ya think? :)

9. posted Aug 8, 2012 at 2:39 pm

This is too good! It has definitely never crossed my mind to throw actual cake, frosting and all, into a blender….And the cake soup thing? If its in a bowl, you can eat it for breakfast right? 😉

• posted Aug 8, 2012 at 9:38 pm

I like the way you think!!

10. posted Aug 8, 2012 at 4:57 pm

Yum yum yum! I make these all the time :)

11. posted Aug 8, 2012 at 5:45 pm

My husband does the cake soup thing and I just never liked it. I just don’t like a soggy cake soup. But everyone has their quirks. I love dipping my Wendy’s fries in the chocolate frosty. Heavenly!

12. posted Aug 8, 2012 at 6:14 pm

Cake shakes are awesome. I used to get them from Sheridan’s in Kansas. White Wedding Cake shake, red velvet with chocolate jimmies, lemon bar shakes, they are truly so delicious :) Loving the chocolate cake variety you made!

• posted Aug 8, 2012 at 9:39 pm

Woah. Seriously love all those ideas. Wheels are turning in my head now!

• posted Aug 11, 2012 at 12:59 am

I know right! Cake shakes may be the next big thing. :) After the puppy chow and rice krispies and biscoff trends…what else is really popular? Hah :)

13. posted Aug 8, 2012 at 7:21 pm

This is so cute! I love it! YUM!

14. posted Aug 8, 2012 at 9:19 pm

Haha, what?! I love this. I’ve never heard of such a thing but it sounds good to me! And I love how you used a piece of cake as garnish. Amazing. :)

• posted Aug 8, 2012 at 9:39 pm

Everything is better with a cake garnish!

15. posted Aug 8, 2012 at 9:41 pm

what a delish idea! Thank you for sharing. I enjoyed my visit to your lovely blog. Hugs. P.S. I invite you to join us for tomorrows linky party ( blog hop)

16. posted Aug 9, 2012 at 12:40 am

holy crap, that chocolate cake looks SO good on that shake. i’ll take that hunk of cake and the shake please!! haha

• posted Aug 9, 2012 at 1:19 am

order up! Sorry, just wanted to say that like my house is some kind of diner!

17. posted Aug 9, 2012 at 12:52 am

Okay AImee, I’ve never heard of cake soup, but I totally want to try it!! That shake looks amazing and now I want cake!!!

18. posted Aug 9, 2012 at 2:09 am

HOLY FRIDGE I LOVE love lovveeee portillos! Their chocolate cake shake is beyond heavenly. I got so excited when I saw this!! I love it when people actually know what POrtillo’s is. Have you tried their chopped salad?! It’s pretty much the only place I ever get excited about ordering a salad from. I have no idea what they do to that thing, but it is GOOD. Of course their hot dogs and beef are killer too 😉

19. posted Aug 9, 2012 at 2:59 am

You aren’t weird, I used to do this too!!!! I wouldn’t blend it though, I liked mine with chunky pieces of cake. It’s super awesome!

20. posted Aug 9, 2012 at 3:07 am

cake soup sounds pretty enthralling :o) this cake shake…wow!!

21. Anonymous
    posted Aug 9, 2012 at 5:06 am

what no Jello in the soup???

22. posted Aug 9, 2012 at 5:06 am

I totally done this with my cake and sponge as a kid and would even wait until my ice cream had completely melted so I could mix it together. Maybe that’s why I love tres leches so much?

• posted Aug 9, 2012 at 11:21 am

Oh yeah, melted icecream is lovely too!!!

23. posted Aug 9, 2012 at 5:42 am

I have always done this with brownies, but cake looks even better

24. posted Aug 9, 2012 at 6:03 am

My nephew’s birthday was a couple days ago and I wanted the leftover chocolate cake to smoosh up & make into choc cake ice cream. I got some ‘looks’ as well. Seeing these tasty pics – I wish I had!

• posted Aug 9, 2012 at 11:22 am

Next time for sure!!

25. posted Aug 9, 2012 at 10:20 am

Love the cake balancing on the side!! My family is certainly quickly. We don’t have cake soup, but I’d be willing to give it a try! I suspect my kids would think it’s the best thing ever!

26. posted Aug 9, 2012 at 6:50 pm

Thought that was something only my family did with day old cake. Nice to have a name for it, Cake soup!! Can’t wait to try the shake.

27. Anonymous
    posted Aug 9, 2012 at 6:51 pm

I totally eat cake soup too!!!! I’m so glad to hear that I’m not the only one in this world who likes it. :)

28. posted Aug 9, 2012 at 11:10 pm

I LOVE this picture! And the recipe :) There was a place called Sammy’s in Provo, and they did pie and cupcake shakes. SO GOOD! You literally watched them scoop out the ice cream, shove your gigantic slice of pie in the shake cup, and then blend the mess outta that thing. It was so awesome. This takes me back :)

29. posted Aug 10, 2012 at 2:36 pm

This sounds like a wonderful idea! Definitely worthy of a tradition! :)

30. posted Aug 10, 2012 at 8:46 pm

What an awesome post & recipe! We all do have our quirks huh? I love special traditions. You have SUCH a knack with making special desserts. Thanks soooo much for linking this up at Weekend Potluck. VERY special!

31. posted Aug 23, 2012 at 12:59 am

What a cool idea!

• posted Aug 23, 2012 at 1:18 am

Thanks Sarah :)

32. Amanda
    posted Jan 4, 2013 at 5:25 pm

I’m totally drooling over the cake garnish – the frosting looks so rich and glossy! Is it just buttercream, or something fancier?
    I feel like I need to go make a cake JUST to make a shake…

• posted Jan 5, 2013 at 10:21 am

Haha, I’m afraid to admit that was a canned frosting. Had to make it just for the shake!!! Fast and easy (and apparantly glossy too!)

33. posted Mar 16, 2013 at 10:30 pm

This is AMAZING! I love your tip about freezing a few pieces of the chocolate cake! (=

34. posted Apr 13, 2013 at 2:19 pm

This sounds so wonderful! I’ll be featuring it at the party tonight! Hope you stop by to check it out (starts at 8

35. MariaR
    posted Jun 12, 2013 at 4:46 pm

Hi Amiee! Will you be my friend? This recipe is proof you will fit in perfectly with all my friends :-) We are a little confused about the leftover cake… it’s like leftover wine, we’ve never heard of it!

36. Heather
    posted Jun 28, 2013 at 2:11 pm

I love the Portillo’s Chocolate Cake Shake too! I know you can use any kind of chocolate (or other flavor as mentioned above) cake for this, but Portillo’s does use a chocolate mayonnaise cake. I had never heard of mayonnaise being in a chocolate cake before I had it there. So moist and yummy!

37. posted Jul 7, 2013 at 3:20 pm

This looks absolutely incredible! Thank you for sharing!

38. Elaine Ellen
    posted Aug 19, 2013 at 3:44 pm

We did that a lot in high school. Actually we put the pieces of cake in our glasses of milk because it was kind of dry. It was very good that way! People dunk cookies, why would cake soup be so weird?

39. Pingback: Frosted Gooey Chocolate Cake Bars - Shugary Sweets

40. Karen Kay
    posted May 13, 2014 at 2:53 pm

My brother-in-law owns a restaurant and has pie shakes on the menu for years!

41. jann jones
    posted May 21, 2014 at 1:43 am

Cake soup… Ya know, I was devouring chocolate cake, in its many delectable varieties, in a bowl with milk in the ’50s, with mom.. We didn’t wait for it to be cooled, or frosted, and it RARELY got stale, or hard, we’d just whack out a chunk, into a bowl, grab that milk, and yummmmmm… Never knew there was a name for it…. But, oh, wow, have I had a craving lately.. Comfort food from the gods!!! Have a big bite for me!!

42. Pingback: Blueberry Muffin Milkshake - Will Cook For Smiles

43. Pingback: Chocolate Cake Shake | Chocolate

44. Sara
    posted Jul 27, 2014 at 7:46 pm

Growing up we put our cake right in a glass of milk. I preferred a tall glass of Nestle’s Quik with my cake. I still eat it today as a special treat. Mom said, “this was how we ate stale cake and crackers during the depression.”

45. DeeDee
    posted Sep 30, 2014 at 5:18 pm

People always think I’m crazy because I love to take a bowl of cake & ice cream and immediately smash all of it together until it’s just cake ice cream. Sooooooo good!

46. Pingback: Neapolitan Cheesecake Cake - Shugary Sweets