Jelly Filled Donut Holes

by aimee @ shugarysweets on March 25, 2014

These cute Jelly Filled Donut Holes are delicious and tasty too! Make a quick batch for your family (or yourself) today!!

Be sure to follow me on Bloglovin’

Jelly Filled Donut Holes: so easy to make and better than any donut shop. Make a batch for breakfast today!

I think I may have said this once or twice before, but I love love love love love pastries for breakfast. Donuts, Muffins, Coffee Cake, Turnovers…I’m all over it.

There is something so perfect about a rich pastry and hot cup of coffee in the morning.

It’s my weakness. (besides rice krispie treats).

Last week I baked FIVE different kinds of donuts. All little bitty bite sized flavors. Because bite sized donuts are better. Right? Okay, maybe not really, but I feel less guilty when I eat a dozen bite sized donuts. Stay tuned for more donut muffin recipes!

And I’m not really sure these are donuts. Maybe muffins? There is quite the controversy on social media if baked donuts are TRULY donuts. And donuts (bite sized ones) made in a mini muffin pan…well, you be the judge.

Regardless of WHAT you call these, I can guarantee they are delicious.

Ever go to a donut shop and ask for an assortment of donuts? I feel like they always put in way more jelly donuts than chocolate, or cream filled. Which is totally cool with me, because I LOVE jelly filled donuts.

However these little beauties are soft (and not dry like a day old donut shop version). I used a pastry bag and tip to fill my muffins. I found filling them while they were warm worked best (I tried both ways). I tipped each mini donut on it’s side then piped it right into the center, giving enough pressure that when the donut started to “expand” I removed the tip. Once they were cooled, I rolled them in melted butter (oh yeah) and then rolled them in granulated sugar. I never said this was a “light and healthy” recipe. ENJOY!!!

Connect with Shugary Sweets!

Facebook | Twitter | Google+

Pinterest | instagram | Bloglovin’

Save your favorite recipes to your personal recipe box with the     button on all my recipes! Create a Meal Plan with your “favorited” recipes and the ingredients will automatically be added to your own Grocery List!

Jelly Filled Donut Holes

Yield: 24 donut holes

For the donut holes:
  • 1/3 cup granulated sugar
  • 4 Tbsp unsalted butter, softened
  • 1 large egg
  • 1/3 cup milk
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp kosher salt
  • 1/4 tsp cinnamon
  • For the filling and topping:
  • 3 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/2 cup strawberry jelly (or any flavor)

1. Beat sugar with butter until well blended. Add egg. Add milk, flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Beat until combined (about 1-2 minutes).
  2. Spray mini muffin pan with non-stick baking spray. Drop dough by tablespoon into each muffin cup. Bake in a 350 degree oven for about 13-15 minutes.
  3. Remove from oven. Cool 5 minutes. Tip each donut hole on it's side.
  4. Fill pastry bag with jelly. Press tip into side of donut, apply enough pressure and fill donut hole until you see it expand. Remove tip and repeat for remaining donuts. Allow to cool completely.
  5. Once cooled, dip each donut hole into melted butter. Put sugar in a bowl, and roll each donut hole gently in the sugar until it's coated completely. Store in airtight container and enjoy within 3 days.

LOVE Donuts?

Check out my Doughnuts Pinterest Board. So many great ideas!

75+breakfast-recipes

Still looking for more breakfast? Here is a great list of over 75 Breakfast recipes, from donuts and muffins to eggs and casseroles.

Chloe @ foodlikecake March 25, 2014 at 7:09 am

I love jelly doughnuts, and yes I think those count as doughnuts! These look amazing and adorable :-)
Chloe @ foodlikecake recently posted..Chocolate Caramel CupcakesMy Profile

Melanie | Melanie Makes March 25, 2014 at 10:15 am

Jelly filled – my favorite! And because they’re small I can even more without feeling any guilt. Love the way you think! ;) Pinned!
Melanie | Melanie Makes recently posted..loaded scalloped potatoesMy Profile

Graham @ Glazed & Confused March 25, 2014 at 10:17 am

These look crazy simple and so delicious. Would love to try these!
Graham @ Glazed & Confused recently posted..a post in which i rant about my hectic lifeMy Profile

Jocelyn @BruCrew Life March 25, 2014 at 10:22 am

I love that you made 5 different donuts in one day. These cute little minis full of jelly would not last very long in our house!
Jocelyn @BruCrew Life recently posted..Chicken Supreme Pasta BakeMy Profile

Nancy P.@thebittersideofsweet March 25, 2014 at 10:34 am

I have a weakness for all kinds of pastries for breakfast! Love how there is jelly inside!
Nancy P.@thebittersideofsweet recently posted..Apricot Almond Butterscotch CookiesMy Profile

Karly March 25, 2014 at 10:42 am

I’ll take a dozen.
Karly recently posted..Monkey Bread Muffins with IcingMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets March 26, 2014 at 8:32 am

You gotta come collect in person :)

Shannon @ Bake.Frost.Repeat March 25, 2014 at 11:00 am

I love to make sweet stuff for breakfast when my mom or in-laws are in town. I feel like it fancies things up!! LOL! I’m totally gonna have to make some of these.
Shannon @ Bake.Frost.Repeat recently posted..Lemon Ginger SconesMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets March 26, 2014 at 8:32 am

Your family will thank you :)

Rochelle @ Oh So Sweet Baker March 25, 2014 at 11:35 am

Yuummy, love these cute donut holes. Pinned!
Rochelle @ Oh So Sweet Baker recently posted..Currently Loving #4My Profile

marcie March 25, 2014 at 11:43 am

I love that these look like donut holes…probably taste like them, too…but they’re baked like muffins! These would be such a hit here with everyone. Pinning! :)
marcie recently posted..Skinny Mango LassiMy Profile

Betsy | JavaCupcake.com March 25, 2014 at 12:05 pm

I seriously adding these to my must-bake-list!!! YUM!
Betsy | JavaCupcake.com recently posted..Chocolate Dipped Peanut Butter BiscottiMy Profile

Crystal | Apples & Sparkle March 25, 2014 at 12:26 pm

Yum! I love pastries for breakfast too. Give me a sweet, fresh donut and a hot cup of coffee and it’s bliss! I love these little bites. So clever to fill them with jelly. : )
Crystal | Apples & Sparkle recently posted..Cold Soba NoodlesMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets March 26, 2014 at 8:31 am

Thanks Crystal!! Glad to have a fellow pastry lover visiting :)

Averie @ Averie Cooks March 25, 2014 at 1:11 pm

Bless your heart for the patience involved in filling all of these! Because I wouldn’t likely have had it :) Pinned
Averie @ Averie Cooks recently posted..Caramel Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Gooey BarsMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets March 26, 2014 at 8:31 am

Haha. It really was easy!! Thank for the pin :)

Mary Frances March 25, 2014 at 9:35 pm

I love jelly donut holes – they are so cute, with the jelly peeking out! And the powdered sugar, best part :) Love this homemade version, it looks better than anything I could buy at the store!
Mary Frances recently posted..Low Fat Dairy Free BrowniesMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets March 26, 2014 at 8:27 am

Thanks Mary Frances!!! We sure enjoyed them!

Danae @ reciperunner March 26, 2014 at 6:02 pm

Mini donuts holes are the best and I certainly consider baked donuts a donut, they’re just better because I can eat more and not feel so bad! I love the strawberry jam inside of these and the yummy sugar coating, Pinning!
Danae @ reciperunner recently posted..Spaghetti Squash Greek SaladMy Profile

Kelly - Life made Sweeter March 27, 2014 at 8:43 am

Mini donuts are definitely more fun and I love that you made 5 different ones in one day! These cute little jelly ones would not last long in our house – they look fantastic – pinning :)

Serene@HouseofYumm March 29, 2014 at 1:07 am

I love love love donuts!! And these are so cute!! Anything made mini is automatically cuter :) I’m definitely going to give these a try. Hope you have a great weekend!
Serene@HouseofYumm recently posted..Carrot Cake Sweet Rolls with Maple FrostingMy Profile