Nutella Stuffed Donut Holes

by aimee @ shugarysweets on May 22, 2014

These Nutella Stuffed Donut Holes are the perfect way to start your day. I know from experience they pair well with a cup of hot coffee or a glass of cold milk. You choose!

Be sure to follow me on Bloglovin’

Nutella Stuffed Donut Holes: bite sized sugar coated donut holes filled with nutella!

A couple days ago I shared my recent travel woes and these Frosted Sugar Cookie Bars. Before you begin reading this post, you may want the background. Go ahead, I’ll wait here…get caught up on my story.

Unless of course you want to go straight to the recipe, in which case, scroll down.

All caught up? Awesome. So I finished my story by alluding to the fact that I have some travel tips.

First, let’s talk about clothing choices when traveling. One must always be aware of the temperature in the entire world. No seriously. I planned to fly Miami- Atlanta- Cincinnati. Clothing choice was capris and tshirt. Weather in those areas ranged from 75-85 degrees F.

What I didn’t plan was the detour to the frozen tundra of Chicago. Okay, it wasn’t actually FROZEN, but it was a chilly 50 degrees upon waking at 5:15 am to get back to the airport. Clothing choices. Take it serious people. Always carry a sweater or light jacket. Oh, and while we’re on clothing, for the love of God, someone please remind me to pack an extra clean pair of underwear in my carry on every time I travel. Nuff said about that!

Second. Shoe choices. This is a tough one. I originally chose a comfortable pair of gym shoes. And while that may have been an awesome choice running (no, SPRINTING) across the Miami airport, it later proved cumbersome. After getting the news my flight from Miami- Atlanta was delayed and I was going to miss my connection to Cincinnati, I got booked on a flight that left for Chicago in 20 minutes. TWENTY MINUTES. Have you ever been to Miami Airport? It’s a madhouse. And I now had to go find Terminal D (which meant going through security again). Fortunately, I begged the security guard to let me go through priority access since my flight was changed and leaving in 10 minutes (that’s how long it took me to race across the airport, weaving around people). You guys, it was like in the movies. Girl racing through airport to make her flight.

As for the shoes…here is the issue. Gym shoes, thumbs up for running comfort. Thumbs down for getting through security quickly. I had to sprint to my gate with untied laces and my shoes half on my foot. Awkward much?

While on the topic of running through the airport, can we talk about carry on luggage? I had a great bag (tote) that dualed as my purse much of the weekend. I also brought an extra bag for swag. So now I was lugging two LARGE, HEAVY purses on my shoulder. If you’re a woman you know how hard it is to run with one purse, imagine two! Can you say BACKPACK! That will be my new best friend next time (should I ever choose to travel again).

Also, did I mention my shoulders were sunburned? Yes. I was crying heavily on the inside…and it came out as sweat.

Yes, that dreaded word. Sweat. They don’t make a deodorant strong enough to withstand everything stacked against me. I feel bad for the poor ladies who sat next to me on my flight to Chicago. If that was you, and you read my blog, I’m SO SORRY. I’m not normally so offensive in odor. But you would understand if you saw my great accomplishment of racing across the airport in record time (even the security lady said, “girl, you never gonna make it.”) If I had time, I’d like to have let her know, I made it.

Finally, wigs, glasses, hats. You know, disguises. Cause you cannot even imagine how bad I looked getting off the plane in Chicago. And being a girl who grew up in Chicago, it occurred to me that I would like to curl in a ball if for some slight chance I ran into someone I knew at the airport. Fortunately that did not happen. But in the future, I will bring big dark sunglasses and floppy hats.

On the more practical side: glasses, contacts and a reusable water bottle. My first trip to BlogHer Food Austin I forgot to bring my glasses and extra contacts (I wear dailies) in my carry on luggage. So on day 2 at the airport, I was completely blind. With a booming migraine.

And the water bottle? Bring an empty one through security and fill it up at the water fountain. That way you don’t have to spend $3.49 on a Vitamin water that you carried and ran through the airport with, only to be forced to give it up in security, make it to the airplane (thirsty as all get out from running) and waiting 45 minutes for the drink cart. Just sayin.

So there you go. Travel tips from Shugary Sweets. Who knew, right?

My last tip is to NEVER EVER get your hopes up of making it to your destination. That way when your flight is cancelled, you’re not disappointed. Oh, and if you see me in the airport, make sure you’re not on my flight!

As for these gorgeous muffins? Easy sugar coated muffins with a punch (yes punch, not pinch) of nutella filling. These are the perfect fix to any travel woes!

Nutella Stuffed Donut Holes: How to make bite sized sugar coated donut holes filled with nutella!

Facebook | Twitter | Google+

Pinterest | instagram | Bloglovin’

Save your favorite recipes to your personal recipe box with the     button on all my recipes! Create a Meal Plan with your “favorited” recipes and the ingredients will automatically be added to your own Grocery List!

Nutella Stuffed Donut Holes

Yield: 24 donut holes

For the donut holes:
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp kosher salt
  • 1/4 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/3 cup granulated sugar
  • 4 Tbsp unsalted butter, softened
  • 1 large egg
  • 1/3 cup milk
  • For the topping and filling:
  • 3 Tbsp melted unsalted butter
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/2 cup Nutella (chocolate hazelnut spread)

1. In a large bowl, add all donut hole ingredients and blend with electric mixer until combined, about 2-3 minutes. Lightly grease mini muffin pan with baking spray. Spoon (using a 1Tbsp scoop) into muffin cups and bake in a 350 degree oven for about 13-15 minutes.
  2. Remove from oven and cool about 5-10 minutes in pan. Flip each donut hole onto it's side, as it makes it easier to fill with Nutella. Fill a piping bag with Nutella, and using a tip (I used a size 5 tip), squirt the Nutella into the side of the donut hole, applying enough pressure to see the donut hole expand. Repeat until all donut holes are filled. Melt butter and place in small bowl. Add sugar to a separate bowl. Drop donut into the butter, roll around. Then drop into sugar, coating generously. Allow to set (about 10 minutes). ENJOY. These are best enjoyed in 24 hours.

Nutella Stuffed Donut Holes: Sugar coated donut holes filled with nutella!

Librarian Lavender May 22, 2014 at 7:18 am

Great travel advice, I will sure keep that in mind next time I’ll have to travel by plane somewhere. Such a funny post too, it was a very nice read with a wonderful treat at the end. I love everything with nutella and in this recipe it a wonderful surprise when you bit into the muffin, yum!
Librarian Lavender recently posted..More books I’ve recently purchased onlineMy Profile

Averie @ Averie Cooks May 22, 2014 at 7:25 am

You have way more patience than I do, filling all these little donut holes AND traveling :) God you have some BAD luck girl! But all these travel tips are seriously amazing and as a fairly seasoned traveling, I am nodding in agreement with all. From always carry a light sweater or jacket to the footwear to the deodorant – I always carry it in my carryon LOL :)

Sues May 22, 2014 at 9:23 am

Sounds like quite the travel adventure! You must have needed about 50 of these donut holes when you got home :) They look incredible!!
Sues recently posted..Strawberry Mousse ParfaitsMy Profile

Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust May 22, 2014 at 10:09 am

My husband was laughing at me as I was packing (and when I got home) because I was being super anal about carry on packing, remembering your experiences. Girl, I’m so sorry that all happened!!! Great tips, really. They’re all so true!!! xo
Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust recently posted..Crust and Crumbs 12My Profile

Cookbook Queen May 22, 2014 at 10:57 am

These are breakfast perfection. I need 28, pronto.
Cookbook Queen recently posted..White Chocolate Ritz Fluffernutter BarsMy Profile

Tanya May 22, 2014 at 2:07 pm

I hate airports! Every time we fly I feel like we are always running to try and catch our connecting flight. Glad you made it in enough time :) Great tips for what to wear though, its always tough to decide what works best.
Tanya recently posted..The Importance of Branding In HiringMy Profile

Mary Frances May 22, 2014 at 3:31 pm

Wow Ms. Aimee, you seriously had quite the adventure! I laughed out loud at the wig and glasses part :) I would’ve thought the gym shoes would’ve been great, but I guess not … I’m so glad you made it onto the airplane! Even if it was without your luggage, I can attest to the importance of extra underwear (not an experience I want to repeat) I wish you could’ve told that attendant you had made it! :) Oh well, at least we’ve got donut holes at the end of the day. True comfort food right here, filled with Nutella!
Mary Frances recently posted..Almond Butter Coconut & Pretzel Cookie Tart (gluten free, dairy free)My Profile

Graham @ Glazed & Confused May 22, 2014 at 6:51 pm

I’m having the same issue. I’m leaving for Europe next week and I have no idea what to wear on the plane! It’s going to be hot when I land in Rome, and I can’t wear a dress because, well….. I’m a boy.
Graham @ Glazed & Confused recently posted..The Best Sugar CookiesMy Profile

Graham @ Glazed & Confused May 22, 2014 at 6:52 pm

Oh and for these lovelies, my god do they look delicious. Nutella anything is good in my eyes.
Graham @ Glazed & Confused recently posted..The Best Sugar CookiesMy Profile

Jocelyn @BruCrew Life May 22, 2014 at 7:53 pm

I wish I could say I didn’t laugh as I read your travel tips and woes! Seriously though…the mental picture of you sprinting across the airport lugging your swag on sunburned shoulders makes me giggle :-) I know, I’m a horrible, terrible no good friend for laughing out loud and then telling you and your bloggy followers about it. Sorry…ok, not sorry! I’m still laughing here! But seriously, I’m scared to ever make travel plans with you. But at least now I know how and what to pack. And donuts, these amazing, awesome Nutella stuffed donuts need to go on that list!
Jocelyn @BruCrew Life recently posted..Chicken Bacon Alfredo EnchiladasMy Profile

Jen C May 22, 2014 at 9:48 pm

Oh Aimee–You so LOVE flying don’t you?? ;) You STILL have better job perks that I do! Thanks for the empty water bottle tip though–genius!

Matt Robinson May 23, 2014 at 2:21 am

My little guy Cole (7) would flip out over these! Loves donuts, loves nutella, so this would be pure heaven to him!
Matt Robinson recently posted..Chocolate and Coconut Apricot BitesMy Profile

Chloe @ foodlikecake May 23, 2014 at 6:09 am

These donut holes look like perfection! Especially with the Nutella!!

Mir May 23, 2014 at 6:29 am

I gotta admit, I’ve been enjoying your travel woes just as much as your recipes. I mean, I feel really bad for you, but you’re very funny! So that’s the silver lining in all of your airport drama, right?
And I’m also very much a fan of these donut holes. They’re magnificent!
Mir recently posted..Peanut Butter BarsMy Profile

Danielle May 23, 2014 at 9:32 am

Ever since living in Germany as a teen, I have an obsession with Nutella! I used to think it was so strange to put chocolate spread on bread, but soon fell in love. These Nutella donut holes look like an awesome treat to satisfy that craving!
Danielle recently posted..‘Best of the Farm’ BurgerMy Profile

Lindsay @ The Live-In Kitchen May 23, 2014 at 9:39 am

Oh my goodness, you definitely earned yourself some donut holes! That Nutella stuffing looks perfect!
Lindsay @ The Live-In Kitchen recently posted..Brown Sugar Ice Cream with Honeyed Grape Nut CrunchMy Profile

Kim (Feed Me, Seymour) May 23, 2014 at 10:30 am

I’ll take ten of these. Please and thank you! :)
Kim (Feed Me, Seymour) recently posted..Blackberry Pomegranate SpritzersMy Profile

Jenn @ Deliciously Sprinkled May 23, 2014 at 12:01 pm

You defiantly deserve these nutella stuffed donut holes after that crazy travel experience! :)
Jenn @ Deliciously Sprinkled recently posted..Very Berry SpritzerMy Profile

Melissa from HungryFoodLove.com May 23, 2014 at 1:33 pm

You come up with the best ideas. This is awesome and it was so nice meeting you at Blog Her Food!

Marly May 23, 2014 at 3:24 pm

That last sentence is amusing, “these are best enjoyed within 24 hours.” I don’t think these would even last 24 minutes around most people!! Delicious!
Marly recently posted..Raspberry Sugar Cookie BarsMy Profile

Jessica @ A Kitchen Addiction May 23, 2014 at 4:49 pm

I wish I could have a couple of these donuts right now to get through the rest of the afternoon!
Jessica @ A Kitchen Addiction recently posted..Banana Nut Breakfast BarsMy Profile

Jess @ On Sugar Mountain May 24, 2014 at 2:17 pm

I love doughnuts. I love doughnuts holes. Doughnut holes stuffed with nutella? I AM MAD WITH MY LOVE FOR THESE DOUGHNUTS, AIMEE!!
Jess @ On Sugar Mountain recently posted..Friday Favorites!My Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets May 25, 2014 at 1:57 pm

haha, you always have a way of making me smile with your comments!

DessertForTwo May 25, 2014 at 9:01 am

Crazy story! Glad you made it home safe, though!

Love these doughnut holes!
DessertForTwo recently posted..Comment on Dinner for Two: Smoky Portobello Tacos by ReneeMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets May 25, 2014 at 1:55 pm

Thanks girl. My life is always an adventure!

Kayle (The Cooking Actress) May 25, 2014 at 7:18 pm

You poor poor thing! So glad you got home safe!

and in other news-nutella inside of donut holes sound like the holy grail of breakfast food-SO. MAJESTIC!

Rachel July 27, 2014 at 11:01 am

I have everything to make this except the mini muffin tray & these look so good I’d really like to make them today. Do you think I could fry the donuts in oil?

aimee @ shugarysweets July 27, 2014 at 7:25 pm

I’ve never fried them as this is more of a baked recipe, not yeast based frying version. Sorry!

alana August 22, 2014 at 6:44 am

would you be able to use sea salt or table salt instead of kosher salt? as i know kosher salt is bigger then table salt but smaller than sea salt
I’m from melbourne australia and have never seen it in in the grocery stalls :/

aimee @ shugarysweets August 22, 2014 at 7:39 am

Hi Alana. You can use table salt, but only use half the amount. Sea salt would work fine too (as an even substitution). ENJOY!