This Eggnog Cheesecake Cake is made with homemade spice cake and a rum flavored cheesecake filling. Topped with a creamy eggnog buttercream frosting, it’s the perfect holiday dessert for eggnog lovers!
Table of Contents
Holiday Cheesecake Cake
I’m obsessed with making this red velvet cheesecake cake. So it was only necessary I make an eggnog version for the holidays!
- This Eggnog Cheesecake Cake starts with a two layers of homemade spice cake.
- Nutmeg and rum extract give the center cheesecake layer an authentic eggnog taste!
- It’s topped with a rich buttercream frosting filled with all the eggnog flavors you love.
This cake is creamy, and spicy, and just plain delicious. It’s the exact cheesecake cake you want to dig into after a night of caroling or Christmas shopping.
- Egg whites – Don’t waste the yolks when you separate out the whites. Save them to make Homemade Lemon Curd!
- Cake flour – This flour gives the spice cake layers a light and airy texture.
- Buttermilk – If you don’t have any on hand, my Buttermilk Substitute works beautifully here.
- Rum flavoring – The essential ingredient for eggnog flavored desserts! Pick up a bottle for this cake, then use the rest to make my Eggnog Cheesecake Bars and Eggnog Truffles.
- Low fat eggnog – Also called “light eggnog”, it gives the frosting the perfect flavor without making it too heavy. Or use our homemade eggnog recipe!
How to make an Egg Nog Cheesecake Cake
Anyone who has made cheesecake and layer cakes separately can make a cheesecake cake!
The biggest difference between regular cheesecake and the cheesecake used in my favorite cheesecake cake recipes is that there is no crust on the bottom of the cheesecake. The bottom cake layer is your “crust” here!
- When I make an Eggnog Cheesecake Cake, I like to make the cheesecake first. It bakes at a lower temperature, so it is easier to increase the oven temperature for the cake after the cheesecake is done than vice versa.
- While the cheesecake is chilling, make the cake layers and let them cool. Make sure to leave the cheesecake in the fridge until you’re ready to assemble the cake to keep it nice and cool!
- Just before assembling, beat together the eggnog frosting ingredients.
How to assemble:
Place one layer of spice cake on a cake plate. Place the cheesecake on top followed by the second layer of spice cake.
Spread the eggnog frosting over the top and sides of the cheesecake cake. Slice, serve and enjoy.
Tips and Tricks
- Let your egg whites come to room temperature before adding them to the cake batter. Room temperature egg whites are easier to incorporate into the batter.
- I use Wilton Bake Even Cake Strips to make perfectly even cake layers.
- Prepare your springform pan by wrapping it in a double layer of foil before baking the cheesecake. Then spray the inside with plenty of cooking spray so the cheesecake slides out easily after baking.
- Want a simple cheesecake without the cake? Try our creamy eggnog cheesecake recipe!
Once assembled, this cake holds up well (covered) in the refrigerator for several days.
Nope, you do not need to whip or beat the egg whites before adding them to the other ingredients in the cake batter!
The rum flavor makes this eggnog dessert taste just like a cozy mug of eggnog. But if you don’t have it or don’t like it, you can replace rum flavoring with vanilla extract in this eggnog cheesecake cake recipe.
More Cheesecake Recipes
- Chocolate Peppermint Cheesecake Cake– two layers of chocolate cake with a creamy layer of peppermint cheesecake, topped with peppermint buttercream!
- Lemon Cheesecake Recipe
- Pumpkin Cheesecake Bars
- Lemon Raspberry Cheesecake Bites– creamy cheesecake with a vanilla wafer crust topped with lemon curd and fresh raspberries!
- Pumpkin Cheesecake Cake– perfect pumpkin cake layered around a creamy cheesecake center, topped with cream cheese frosting!
Eggnog Cheesecake Cake
For the Cakes:
- 5 egg whites room temperature
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- ¾ cup unsalted butter softened
- 1 ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 2 ½ cup cake flour
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
For the Cheesecake:
- 2 packages cream cheese,softened 8 ounce each
- ⅔ cup granulated sugar
- pinch of salt
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup sour cream
- ⅓ cup heavy cream
- ½ teaspoon rum flavoring
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
For the Frosting:
- 1 cup unsalted butter softened
- 1 ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon rum flavoring
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- ¼ cup low fat eggnog
For the Cakes:
- In small bowl, mix egg whites and 1/4 cup buttermilk. Set aside.
- In mixing bowl, beat butter and sugar until creamy, about 2-3 minutes. Add in dry ingredients and mix until combined. Slowly add in egg white mixture. Beat in remaining buttermilk.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for 25-30 minutes.
- Remove and cool on wire rack.
For the Cheesecake:
- Preheat oven to 325 degree. Using a large roasting pan on the lower 1/3 of the oven, preheat the pan. Prepare springform pan by wrapping bottom of pan (outside) with double layer of foil. Spray pan with nonstick baking spray and line bottom (inside) with a circle of parchment paper. Meanwhile, boil several cups of water to use later.
- Beat cream cheese with sugar for 2-3 minutes until creamy. Add in salt and egg, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in sour cream, heavy cream and remaining ingredients.Pour into prepared 9inch springform pan. Place pan in center of preheated roasting pan. Pour boiling water, slowly, into pan, utnil about one inch of water comes up the sides. Bake cheesecake for 45 minutes. Turn oven off and let cheesecake sit for an additional 30 minutes in oven. Remove and cool completely.
- When cooled remove from springform pan and place in freezer for one hour, or overnight until ready to assemble cake.
For the Frosting:
- Beat butter for 3 minutes until fluffy. Add in nutmeg, rum flavoring, powdered sugar and eggnog. Beat for an additional 3-5 minutes until fluffy.
- To assemble Cake:Lay one spice cake on cake plate. Top with cheesecake then second layer of spice cake. Frost with eggnog frosting! ENJOY!