Thick and fudgy Chocolate Brownies. Grinch Brownies with a green mint ganache, mint Oreos, and red hot candies! Perfect for Christmas.
If they’re thick and fudgy, I can’t resist them.
Today’s brownie recipe has a delicious fudgy base and is topped with a white chocolate Oreo mixture, all decked out in Grinch style. Green ganache with little red “hearts.”
I’m not usually very good at making creative, holiday treats. I don’t have the patience for it, haha! But every year I try to come up with one easy Christmas recipe that the kids can help make AND eat!
How to Make Grinch Brownies
STEP 1. Bake a batch of brownies in a 9-inch baking dish. If using a 13×9 recipe, the brownies will be thinner (and so will the ganache topping)…but it will still be delicious.
Even a store bought mix will work!
STEP 2. After the brownies have cooled, prepare the mint ganache topping.
In a heat safe bowl or double boiler over simmering water, add white chocolate and heavy cream. Stir until chocolate has fully melted.
Remove from heat and stir in peppermint extract and green food coloring.
Pour ganache over brownies and top immediately with chopped Oreos and red hot candies.
Allow to set, for about one hour. Cut and enjoy.
Tips for perfect Christmas brownies
- Use a good quality white chocolate for the ganache. I like to use Ghirardelli. It not only melts well, but tastes delicious too.
- Make sure to choose peppermint extract, NOT mint extract. The mint will taste more like a spearmint flavor tube of toothpaste. Just sayin.
- Also, when adding food coloring to melted chocolate, I prefer to use a gel food coloring, like Americolor. The color is vibrant, and you only need a small drop. Plus, it doesn’t cause the white chocolate to seize up!
- The best way to cut brownies is with a plastic knife. For whatever reason it keeps the brownies from sticking to the knife while slicing. You’ve got to try it!
Can you freeze Holiday Brownies?
Yes! But just remember the texture will change slightly after thawing. The Oreo cookies will be softer, and the peppermint candies may be sticky.
I suggest you freeze the brownies without the topping, then top these brownies when ready to serve.
BUT, if you do choose to freeze the brownies as leftovers or whole, wrap in plastic wrap, then slide into a ziploc freezer container (or airtight container) for up to 30 days.
Thaw at room temperature overnight.
More Christmas recipes
- Chocolate Mint Pretzel Bites
- English Toffee
- Cranberry Pistachio Biscotti
- Candy Cane Cake
- Peanut Butter Fudge
- Christmas Punch
- Divinity Candy
- Christmas Crack
- Sugar Cookies – perfect no-spread cut out cookies
- Grinch Drink
Thick and fudgy Chocolate Brownies. Grinch brownies with a green mint ganache, mint Oreos, and red hot candies! Perfect for Christmas.
For the brownies
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate morsels
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
For the topping
- 2 cup white chocolate chips (11oz package)
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 20 mint oreo cookies
- 1/4 tsp peppermint extract
- 1 drop green food coloring
- 2 Tbsp cinnamon red hot candies
For the brownies
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 9-inch baking dish with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a medium sized saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Remove from heat and add in chocolate chips and sugar.
- Stir until chocolate is completely melted. Add in eggs, one at a time, stirring completely after each addition. Stir in vanilla.
- Add the cocoa powder, flour, salt, and baking powder. Using big strokes, stir in JUST until mixed and no longer see dry ingredients. DO NOT BEAT OR OVER STIR.
- Pour batter into dish and bake for about 35 minutes. Remove from oven and cool completely before adding topping.
For the topping
- After the brownies have cooled, prepare the mint ganache topping.
- In a heat safe bowl or double boiler over simmering water, add white chocolate and heavy cream. Stir until chocolate has fully melted.
- Remove from heat and stir in peppermint extract and green food coloring.
- Pour ganache over brownies and top immediately with chopped Oreos and red hot candies.
- Allow to set, for about one hour. Cut and enjoy.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 450Total Fat: 25gSaturated Fat: 14gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 90mgSodium: 139mgCarbohydrates: 55gFiber: 2gSugar: 43gProtein: 5g