A classic family recipe that is made for every occasion. Hanky Panky’s anyone? Flavorful pumpernickel bread topped with sausage and cheese, baked to a crisp!
Love this recipe? Sign up for Shugary Sweets email subscription and never miss out again!
Every family has those recipes hidden in their vaults. The ones they make year after year, holiday after holiday, birthday after birthday.
You forget that there is even a “recipe” because you’ve made them so many times you have it memorized.
Until a friend comes over and ask for the recipe. Then you have to stumble and think and try to recall exactly how you made it. Because nobody is ever happy with just ingredients, they want exact measurements. Am I right?
These Hanky Panky’s are a staple at our family functions. Late at night, after dinner has been eaten, dessert has been demolished, my mom always brings out a hot plate of hanky panky’s. Always.
They go very well with a game of cards, laughter, and late night hunger pains!
Just be warned, these don’t last long. By the time you take a batch out of the oven, the plate is empty and waiting for the next batch.
How to make Hanky Panky’s
First, plan your menu in advance! Do your shopping as early as possible. Seriously, you don’t want to be out there while the shelves are empty!
These Hanky Panky’s can be made up ahead of time. There is rarely a time when my mom doesn’t have a batch of these in her freezer!
Brown your pork sausage, add the cheese and assemble as directed in the instructions below. Before baking them however, lay them on a flat cookie sheet and place them in the freezer. After an hour, when they have begun to harden, stack them in a freezer safe Ziploc bag! Label and save them until ready to serve.
You can substitute thin rye bread for the pumpernickel bread if you prefer. We have done both and love it either way!
When your party has arrived, and you think it’s time to bring out a batch, place them on your cookie sheet while frozen. Bake a few extra minutes until the bottom crisps up and the cheese begins to sizzle. PERFECTION!
Want another freezer friendly appetizer that can be prepped ahead of time? Make ahead, freezer friendly Copycat Firecracker Chicken Wraps are a delicious appetizer to serve family and friends. This copycat Longhorn recipe is so good!
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #shugarysweets so I can see all the wonderful SHUGARY SWEETS recipes YOU make!
Connect with Shugary Sweets!
Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!
Sign up to receive an email in your inbox for each new recipe:
- 36 slices dark pumpernickel party bread, one 12 ounce package, substitute rye if desired
- 1 pound pork sausage
- 1/2 pound velveeta cheese
- In a large skillet over medium high heat, cook sausage until browned and crumbled. Drain off excess fat.
- Add velveeta and stir over low heat until melted and fully blended.
- If serving immediately, preheat oven to 425°F. Lay bread slices onto baking sheet. Spoon dollop of meat mixture onto bread and bake for about 15 minutes (oven times may vary).
- If assembling ahead of time, lay bread slices onto freezer safe baking sheet. Spoon dollop of meat mixture onto bread and place in freezer for about an hour. Remove and place frozen hanky pankies into a freezer safe Ziploc bag. Store until ready to serve. When serving, place frozen hanky pankies on a baking sheet and bake for about 15-20 minutes.
Recipe originally posted on December 29, 2014
**There may be affiliate links in this post! By clicking on them, or purchasing recommended items I may receive a small compensation. However, I only recommend products I love! Thank you for supporting Shugary Sweets! See my disclosure policy for more info**