Potato Salad

Grandma's Potato Salad recipe: seriously the best, look no further!

I’m sure every family has their own potato salad recipe. This one comes from my dad’s side of the family. Grandma Bauer. Isn’t it funny how some of your favorite memories of people revolve around food? I imagine one day, long after I’m gone, that may be how I am remembered.

Grandma Bauer made the best potato salad (and ham salad). She also served deli sliced cheese on her lunch platters. To you that may seem an odd memory. For me, it changed the way I buy cheese as an adult. Once you eat deli sliced cheese, it’s very hard to swallow down Kraft singles in their plastic wrappers.

Grandma peeled her potatoes. I need to make that very clear (just in case family is reading this and thinking, wait, that’s not Grandma’s potato salad). I, on the other hand, am very lazy. And I like the skin on red potatoes. So I left them unpeeled. You decide what YOU like. Enjoy!

Potato Salad

• 3 lb red potatoes
  • 2 green peppers
  • 1 medium onion
  • 6 hard boiled eggs
  • 32 oz jar Hellman’s mayonnaise (the recipe is very clear about using Hellman's)
  • salt and pepper

1. Boil, peel and dice potatoes (I like to leave the skin on, but Grandma peeled her potatoes). Mix all the diced potatoes, diced veggies together with eggs, mayonnaise, salt and pepper. Season generously with salt and pepper to taste and refrigerate. Enjoy!

13 Responses to “Potato Salad”

1. posted Jun 2, 2011 at 2:28 pm

Mmmmm Aimee this sounds deee-lish! My hubby ♥’s potatoe salad. I’ve never made it for him before.. lol I’m a bad wifey.. I am going to print this recipe and try it at our next BBQ! : )

2. posted Jun 2, 2011 at 2:45 pm

Thanks Holly. Totally opposite in our family. My hubby hates anything creamy- however I managed to eat his share, and then some!

3. posted Jun 2, 2011 at 5:41 pm

Wow,your dish reminds me of my favorite food some years ago..I used to eat this during yuppie days and early days of marriage.Your version is making me drool..thanks for bringing back my appetite for this!

4. posted Jun 3, 2011 at 5:48 pm

Hi Aimee,
    Great looking Potato Salad. Potato Salad is a summer staple at our house. I will have to try your recipe. Thanks for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and come back soon!

5. posted Jun 7, 2011 at 2:14 pm

potato salad something we have at every get together love your recipe thanks for sharing come see what I shared at http://shopannies.blogspot.com

6. posted Feb 16, 2014 at 7:18 pm

I think it’s that ‘pinch’ of sugar in the Hellman’s that does the trick!

7. posted Mar 3, 2014 at 4:18 pm
  8. Pingback: 47 Potato Recipes That Will Knock Your Socks Off - A Mother Thing

9. Pingback: Foodies Network » Grandma’s Potato Salad

10. Pingback: Loaded Potato Salad - Shugary Sweets

11. posted Jul 22, 2014 at 4:04 pm

There is a local bakery that sells a potato salad very similar to this. It sells for almots $10 a pound, and they can’t make it quick enough. Excellent recipe!

12. posted Mar 12, 2015 at 1:59 am

Loved this, I used my homemade avocado mayonnaise as binder.

13. Pingback: Shrimp Pasta Salad - Shugary Sweets