Jello Pie is a fun no-bake dessert made with strawberry JELL-O and Cool Whip! JELL-O filling is poured over a graham cracker crust then topped with whipped cream and strawberries in this easy recipe.
Why This Recipe is Best
Today, I’m adding another dessert to long list of JELL-O recipes in my rotation: Strawberry Jell-O Pie.
- Super easy to make. No baking required!
- Homemade graham cracker pie crust.
- Perfect sweet and creamy JELL-O filling.
- Topped with whipped cream and strawberries!
Once you know how to make Jello Pie, you’re going to want to try it with all kinds of JELL-O flavors.
Today we kept it classic with good old fashioned strawberry. If you couldn’t tell by the number of strawberry recipes on this site, I will never say no to a strawberry jello dessert. Especially if whipped cream is involved!
If you love easy pie recipes, don’t forget to try our pistachio pie next!
- Graham cracker crust – The recipe includes instructions for how to make a graham cracker crust from scratch. Or you can substitute a store bought version in a pinch!
- Strawberry Jello – Use the powdered mix.
- Cool Whip – If you don’t want to use the kind that comes in a tub, try this homemade Stabilized Whipped Cream to use in the Jello pie instead.
Don’t forget the whipped cream and fresh strawberries for topping the pie. They are technically optional but I never miss out on a chance to enjoy fresh whipped cream and berries!
Tips and Tricks
- Freeze the crust. Stick the graham cracker crust in the freezer while you make the filling. The cold crust will stay together better and help the filling set more quickly.
- Dissolve the JELL-O completely. If the powder doesn’t dissolve all the way into the hot water, you’ll get flecks of red in the filling instead of a consistency pink color.
- Stir filling thoroughly. There should be NO lumps in the JELL-O Pie filling. Use a spatula to integrate the cool whip completely before chilling.
- Large pie plate. I use a deep pie plate for this pie (similar to what you would choose for an apple pie). Otherwise you may be left with some extra filling. The photos show this pie in a standard 9-inch pie plate for comparison. You can also make this pie in a 9-inch springform pan.
- Chill overnight. The pie may set in as little as 4 hours but I recommend making the pie the day before to ensure the JELL-O center has plenty of time to set and get nice and chilled.
- Skip the Crust. Pour jello filling into small 4 ounce plastic glasses or ramekins. Refrigerate as the recipe states and you’ll have delicious strawberry mousse cups instead!
JELL-O Pie recipes with Cool Whip work best with regular JELL-O. The sugar free varieties have a different chemical makeup which doesn’t set up as well in the filling.
Jello Pie keeps well for about 5 days. Store it covered in the refrigerator until you’re ready to serve and enjoy.
Yes, you can! Double wrap any leftovers in plastic wrap or foil and freezer bags. Keep frozen for up to 3 months.
Thaw frozen JELL-O Pie overnight in the refrigerator before eating.
This method works with any flavor of instant gelatin mix. Try making JELL-O Pie with cherry, lemon, orange, or lime. They’d all be delicious!
No, regular un-stabilized whipped cream does not produce the same results. If you don’t like using the stuff that comes in a tub, make your own stabilized whipped topping (aka “homemade Cool Whip“) to use instead.
More Easy Dessert Recipes
Jello Pie is a creative dessert recipe combining sweet strawberry gelatin with creamy whipped topping and a graham cracker crust.