Oreo Brownie Cake is a decadent treat with three layers! Starting with a brownie base and topped with two layers of white cake, this cake is covered with Oreo frosting and chocolate ganache!
Love decadent cakes? This Salted Caramel Chocolate Cheesecake Cake is to die for. As is this delicious Watergate Cake.
Table of Contents
Why this Recipe Works
Today’s Oreo Brownie Cake is the ultimate dessert. Whether you need a chocolate treat for Valentine’s Day, a birthday, or just a regular Thursday evening, THIS cake is the answer.
- Rich brownie base
- Packed with Oreos
- Three decadent layers
- Topped with cookies ‘n’ cream frosting!
The appearance of this brownie cake is nothing short of magical. And it tastes even better. If you love chocolate and Oreo cookies, you need an Oreo Brownie Layer Cake in your life.
Brownie mix – I recommend the Ghirardelli Triple Fudge Brownies for a no-hassle brownie layer that perfectly rich and chocolatey.
Double stuffed Oreos – These are pressed into the brownie layer before baking. You’ll need additional Oreos for blending into the frosting too.
Cake flour – This flour has less protein than all-purpose and gives the cake layer a softer crumb.
Egg whites – Along with cake flour, separated egg whites make the white cake soft and fluffy, but sturdy enough to hold up to the frosting in this recipe.
Ghirardelli dark chocolate morsels – I love the deep cocoa flavor of higher quality chocolate here. The morsels are melted with heavy cream to create an easy chocolate ganache topping.
The secret to the BEST Oreo Brownie Cake is in the layers.
1.Oreo brownies: You’ll follow the instructions on the box, but bake the brownies in a round spring form pan instead. Don’t forget to press Oreo cookies into the brownie batter before baking!
2. White cake: Two homemade white cake layers go on top of the brownies.
3. Oreo frosting: The frosting is blended with Oreo cookie crumbs, then spread over each layer of this brownie cake.
4. Chocolate ganache: A silky ganache gives this Oreo Brownie Cake the perfect finishing touch of decadence.
5. Garnish: I like to sprinkle more cookie crumbs over the ganache, then garnish the cake with one whole Oreo cookie on top.
Tips and Tricks
- Don’t waste your yolks! Separate out the egg whites, then use the yolks to make Lemon Curd or an Apple Slab Pie.
- Let the layers cool completely before assembling. If they’re warm, they will make the frosting runny.
- Store this Oreo Brownie Cake covered at room temperature. It’s best enjoyed within 3 days.
You sure can! This easy brownie recipe (sans frosting) would be perfect too.
Yes, you can use a regular round cake pan (8 or 9 inch) instead. Line the bottom with a circle of greased parchment paper. The circle of parchment should be large enough that the sides hang over the edges of the pan.
Once the brownie layer is baked, let it cool for a few minutes in the pan. Then use the sides of the parchment to life the whole layer out of the cake pan in one piece.
We love the extra cream filling in the double stuffed Oreos, but regular Oreos are good too! Peanut butter Oreos, peppermint Oreos and double chocolate Oreos are other great ways to change up the flavor of the cake.
Yes, your favorite white cake mix should work just fine. Follow the instructions on the box for baking two 9 inch round layers. Then assemble the Oreo Brownie Cake as directed.
More Cake Recipes
Oreo Brownie Cake
For the brownies:
- 1 box brownie mix for an 8 or 9-inch pan- with ingredients on box- (I used Ghirardelli Triple Fudge Brownies)
- 12 Double Stuff Oreo Cookies
For the Cake:
- 5 egg whites room temperature
- ¾ cup milk divided
- ¾ cup unsalted butter softened
- 1 ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 ½ cups cake flour
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
For the frosting:
- 1 ½ cups unsalted butter softened
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- ¼ cup milk
- 15 Double Stuff Oreos divided
For the ganache:
- 10 ounce Ghirardelli dark chocolate morsels
- 6 Tablespoons heavy cream
For the brownie layer:
- Prepare brownie mix in a 9-inch springform pan, lined with parchment paper and sprayed with baking spray. Bake according to package directions. Remove from oven.
- Cool 5 minutes in pan, then remove springform and cool on wire rack. Set aside.
For the cake layers:
- Whisk together the egg whites and 1/4 cup of the milk in a small bowl until slightly combined. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, beat butter, sugar, and vanilla for 2 minutes on medium speed, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed. Add in dry ingredients and mix until combined. Beat in egg white mixture until fully blended. Add in remaining milk and beat for 3-4 minutes, scraping down the sides of the bowl.
- Spray two 9-inch cake pans with baking spray. Pour batter into pans and bake in a 350 degree oven for 26-28 minutes. Remove and cool completely on wire rack.
For the frosting:
- In a food processor, pulse the Oreo until they become a fine crumb. Set aside.
- Beat butter in a large mixing bowl for about 4 minutes, until fluffy and pale in color. Add in powdered sugar and milk and beat an additional 3-5 minutes, until fluffy and smooth. Fold in 1 cup of the cookie crumbs (set aside the remaining crumbs for the garnish).
- Place the brownie layer on the bottom of a cake platter. Add 1/4 of the frosting and spread evenly. Top with one of the cake layers and repeat with another 1/4 of the frosting. Top with remaining cake layer and use the last 1/2 of the frosting to cover the cake completely.
- In a microwave safe bowl, combine the dark chocolate with the heavy cream. Heat over high for one minute. Remove and stir until smooth. Allow too cool for a couple minutes, then spread over the top of the frosted cake.
- Immediately add the reserved cookie crumbs to the top of the ganache. Add whole Oreos if desired, for a garnish. Allow ganache to set, then serve and enjoy!
Can’t decide between Oreos, brownies or chocolate cake? Have them all with this layered Oreo Brownie Cake recipe!