Hearty Vegetarian Chili recipe packed with flavor! You won’t miss the meat in this vegetable chili, and the addition of walnuts gives the perfect texture and flavor!
***This post is sponsored by Fisher Nuts. I am excited to be a partner in creating delicious recipes, all opinions are 100% my own***
March madness is here!!! In my mind that means two birthdays, spring break, and yardwork. I know nothing of this college basketball type of madness, haha!
So recently I gave up eating meat for Lent, and while I don’t necessarily crave it, I do have a lot to learn with cooking vegetarian. Plus, this mom needs protein. I started CrossFit nearly 6 months ago and my muscles need protein, so I’m told!
It’s easy to get protein when you are eating meat. But it’s taking me more effort to make sure I’m getting enough through legumes, eggs, and other non-meat foods.
One of my favorite ways to get a little extra protein is nuts. Fortunately, I have an ambassadorship with Fisher Nuts, which means there is never a shortage of almonds, walnuts, and pecans in my house. They are a perfect preservative free, non GMO, heart healthy snack! And, Fisher Nuts come in resealable bags, which makes them even more convenient (and fresh) for on the go snacking!
In my quest to get more protein in my diet, I had this idea to add walnuts to a vegetarian chili. And, you guys, it turned out even better than expected. I loved the texture the nuts provided! Because they cooked with the vegetables and sauce, they weren’t “crunchy” but they still had a snap to them when you took a bite! And the nutty flavor was perfect paired with the beans and vegetables!
So, for your March Madness party (or after a day of yardwork, haha) whip up a big pot of this Vegetarian Chili. Even the meat lovers in your house will eat a big bowl!
Question is, what do you top it with? For me, I love a good dollop of Greek yogurt (instead of sour cream), some green onions, cheddar cheese, and a couple of walnut pieces to give the crunch!
Connect with Fisher Nuts:
I created a fun little group on facebook and I’d love for you to join in! It’s a place where you can share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions, and see what’s new with Shugary Sweets (so that you never miss a new recipe)! If you’d like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
Connect with Shugary Sweets! Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!
If you love this Chili, here are a few other recipes you may enjoy:
- White Chicken Chili
- Chili Mac
- Instant Pot Chili
- Jalapeno Cheddar Cornbread
- Beer Bread Recipe
- Roasted Broccoli
Hearty Vegetarian Chili recipe packed with flavor! You won't miss the meat in this vegetable chili, and the addition of walnuts gives the perfect texture and flavor!
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 green pepper, seeded and diced
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed
- 1 can (28 oz) crushed tomatoes
- 32 oz vegetable stock
- 1 can (15 0z) kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (1lb 13 oz) pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (6 oz) tomato paste
- 2 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 cup Fisher Nuts Walnuts, chopped
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- green onion, shredded cheddar cheese, plain greek yogurt (optional), for garnish
- In a large stock pot, heat olive oil over medium high heat. Add zucchini, onion, green pepper, and garlic. Saute for about 3-5 minutes, until softened.
- Add in remaining ingredients (except garnish options). Stir and cover. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 90 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve with desired garnishes. ENJOY!
For the Instant Pot:
- Add stock with vegetables, seasoning, beans, paste, and nuts to the pressure cooker. Lock the lid and select HIGH PRESSURE. Add a cook time of 5 minutes.
- Allow to naturally release for 10 minutes. Remove lid, stir and enjoy!
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Fisher nuts. The opinions and text are all mine.