Cinnamon Cinnabon Cake

Cinnabon cinnamon roll cake: delicious breakfast recipe. Easy to make and yields TWO cakes. Freezes well
Upon seeing this cake on pinterest, it took me three days to make it. Here’s how it went.

Day one, unpack from vacation, stumble upon recipe, print recipe.
Day two, go to grocery store and purchase ingredients for recipe. Come home, plan on making this, but remember the awesome workout in the morning and decide to save calories for another day.
Day three, wake up lazy, skip workout, make cake. Eat cake. Eat more cake. Happiness.
This cake is worth every bite. And, in my book, it’s a fantastic breakfast. Cinnamon roll = Breakfast. So have your cake for breakfast tomorrow. You won’t regret it. Especially if you put on those stretchy pants first, you’ll never notice!

The original recipe is fromย Lady with the Red Rocker, she makes her cake in a 13×9 baking dish. She commented that she really enjoyed the outer edges best, so I chose to bake my cakes in two 8inch cake pans. Genius idea, because she is right, the chewy outer edge is fantastic! I ate my cakes up super quick (with a little help from the family, I think), but I bet you could cool these cakes and freeze them before you drizzle icing on them. Then, just like I do with cinnamon rolls, pop them in the oven to reheat and drizzle with icing. DELISH!
Cinnamon Cinnabon Cake

• 1 cup brown sugar
  • 2 Tbsp cinnamon
  • For the Icing:
  • 2 cups powdered sugar
  • 1/4 cup milk
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract

1. For the cake, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease two 8inch cake pans, lining the bottom with parchment paper.
  2. In mixer, blend 3 cup flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, milk, eggs, vanilla and 1/4 cup melted butter. Divide batter evenly between cake pans.
  3. In another mixing bowl, beat 1 cup butter with brown sugar, 2 Tbsp flour, and cinnamon. Continue to beat until fully blended and fluffy (about 3 minutes). Using two tablespoons, drop butter mixture onto cake batter. Use a knife to swirl.
  4. Bake cakes for about 25-30 minutes. Remove from oven and cool in pans 10 minutes. Flip cakes out onto serving plates.
  5. For icing, whisk the powdered sugar with 1/4 cup milk and 1 tsp vanilla extract. Drizzle over warmed cakes. Enjoy!
  6. adapted slightly from Lady with the Red Rocker

90 Responses to “Cinnamon Cinnabon Cake”

1. posted Apr 16, 2012 at 12:35 am

First of all, I was going to bake something else tomorrow, but you totally made me change my mind. I see now that I MUST make this cake. Second, I intended to make this for someone else but then thought, “How am I going to taste it then if I give it away?” Then, I saw that you had split the recipe into two cake pans. My problem’s solved now. One for them, and one for me.

2. posted Apr 16, 2012 at 12:47 am

Oh my, this looks SO GOOD. Totally pinning this to make for breakfast next weekend! I have my stretchy pants at the ready.

3. posted Apr 16, 2012 at 1:00 am

Yum. Yum. And MORE yum! I’m such a sucker for anything cinnamon…and of course cakey cinnamon bliss defintely catches my attention! :-)

4. posted Apr 16, 2012 at 1:16 am

This cake is seriously my dream! Love it!

5. posted Apr 16, 2012 at 1:33 am

Oh my I just gained 5 pounds looking at the beautiful pictures. I think I would like to try this, maybe made and eat all by myself………..andi

6. posted Apr 16, 2012 at 1:36 am

Oh. My. God. I need this! If I workout can I eat both cakes?

7. posted Apr 16, 2012 at 2:08 am

Um… I am in love with the sound of this deliciousness!! Bookmarked! :)

8. posted Apr 16, 2012 at 2:10 am

Oh yum, this recipe looks awesome! I would love for you to link it up to my Recipe Party at The Sweet Spot.

9. posted Apr 16, 2012 at 3:23 am

I also procrastinate recipes. Sometimes you’re just not feeling it, ya know?
    I can almost smell the cinnamon through the computer screen…

10. posted Apr 16, 2012 at 4:39 am

I made a cinnamon bun pie about 2 weeks ago but I cheated and used premade cinn rolls, then doctored them up (tons!) and baked. This looks so good and do-able without tons of time spent!

11. posted Apr 16, 2012 at 4:45 am

OH. MY. GAW.

Yes please!

12. posted Apr 16, 2012 at 11:55 am

Oh my goodness! This looks awesome. I’m on top of anything that has the cinnamon bun taste without the long wait of yeast bread baking. Pinning this one!

13. posted Apr 16, 2012 at 12:14 pm

My family would adore these! Thanks for sharing :)

14. posted Apr 16, 2012 at 12:46 pm

Now how in the world am I supposed to keep sugar out of my mind when you are posting awesomeness like this??? :-) So ooey gooey and delicious looking…I love it!!!

15. posted Apr 16, 2012 at 1:56 pm

Oh my! This looks so good!!! This would be soooooooo perfect with my coffee right now!!!!

16. posted Apr 16, 2012 at 3:40 pm

My kids love it when I make stuff like this and consider it breakfast food! I’m going to pin this later today. Come, share at Must Try Monday. I’d love to see ya there!

17. posted Apr 16, 2012 at 4:26 pm

This looks incredible! Definitely going to make this as soon as possible!!!

18. posted Apr 16, 2012 at 5:01 pm

This looks amazing! Great with a cup of tea. Thanks so much for sharing at Mix it up Monday :)

19. posted Apr 16, 2012 at 7:29 pm

Looks sinful! Can’t wait to try this

20. posted Apr 16, 2012 at 7:51 pm

I am a total cinnamon addict, so this looks like I’d devour half the cake in one sitting! ๐Ÿ˜‰

21. posted Apr 16, 2012 at 10:06 pm

This is cinamon overload and therefore I love it ๐Ÿ˜€
    Great recipe!

Choc Chip Uru

22. posted Apr 16, 2012 at 10:17 pm

Yesssssss! I have a thing for cinnamon rolls and this looks so easy and delish….and totally worth the calories.

23. posted Apr 16, 2012 at 10:24 pm

Heaven on a plate! This just amde my day!

24. posted Apr 16, 2012 at 10:28 pm

I imagine this is like eating sticky heaven. My family will love it. Printing recipe now!

25. posted Apr 17, 2012 at 1:52 am

Yum! I needed something to take for an event next week and this sounds perfect! ~Roberta

26. posted Apr 17, 2012 at 2:05 am

Yay! So glad you liked this cake! It really is to die for!!! ๐Ÿ˜‰ Thanks for the shout out!!! ๐Ÿ˜€

27. posted Apr 17, 2012 at 12:33 pm

This looks delicious. I pinned it to My Recipes to Try :)

28. posted Apr 17, 2012 at 7:39 pm

This looks amazing! I have pinned this recipe and will definitely be trying it soon! Thanks for sharing!

Visiting from A Southern Fairytale – Mouthwatering Mondays

29. posted Apr 18, 2012 at 2:45 am

I can’t wait to try this! It looks like heaven on a plate. Thanks for the recipe. I will be pinning this for sure!

If you have a minute to spare my weekly Say G’Day linky party is in full swing and I would be so thrilled if you could join in and link up this delicious recipe!

Best wishes,
    Natasha in Oz

30. posted Apr 18, 2012 at 8:22 pm

Wow! This is trouble… delicious trouble ๐Ÿ˜‰

31. posted Apr 19, 2012 at 11:57 am

WOW! Can’t wait to try this out. It looks so delicious!! I may have to make it just for

32. posted Apr 20, 2012 at 12:13 am

This looks so good! I need to try it as soon as possible! Check out my addition to Sweet Tooth Friday: White Chocolate Berry Meringue Bars

33. posted Apr 20, 2012 at 8:22 am

Hi Aimee,

Thanks so much for linking up to Creative Thursday this week. This is so sinful looking and who doesn’t love Cinnabon! I’ll definitely be making this over the weekend.

Hope to see you again next week. Have a wonderful weekend.

34. posted Apr 20, 2012 at 3:41 pm

I am making this today and I am excited!

35. posted Apr 21, 2012 at 2:44 am

You had me at Cinnabon…….these look amazing I can’t wait to try ’em..โ€ฆ.I’d like to invite you to share this @CountryMommaCooks Saturday Link and Greet Party(now-Sunday)โ€ฆ..have a wonderful weekend:)

36. posted Apr 22, 2012 at 2:03 am

Yum would be an indulgent breakfast! Would love you to link the post up at my new link party – Breakfast Ideas Mondays –

37. posted Apr 25, 2012 at 1:48 am

This would be so wonderful to wake up to!!! YUM! We are so happy to have you link up to our “Strut Your Stuff Saturday.” We hope you’ll be back!! -The Sisters

38. posted Apr 25, 2012 at 3:41 am

This. Looks. So. Good. I don’t know what else there is to say!! Thanks for sharing!! :)

39. posted Apr 26, 2012 at 1:31 am

Hi Aimee,

Just a note to let you know you’re being featured this week at Creative Thursday. Stop by and check it out.

40. posted Apr 30, 2012 at 3:31 pm

Hi! This was the first recipe I made from your site. EASY, DELICIOUS, and my house SMELLED AMAZING for the whole night.

I can’t wait to try more of your recipes as all of them look “doable” for people that aren’t pros and also look like things that my Oh SO finicky family will eat!

Thanks again!

• posted Jul 3, 2012 at 12:03 am

Ginger, I’m so glad!!

41. posted May 17, 2012 at 10:47 am

Thanks Ginger for actually commenting on the recipe after you tried it…sounds like something I will definitely make now.

42. posted Aug 5, 2012 at 11:01 pm

Another big winner I’m going to make. I’ll have to make mine healthier but it should still taste great so thanks for the idea. I’ll use whole wheat flour & splenda, lite butter…

43. posted Oct 7, 2012 at 12:03 am

I am so glad I found this recipe as well as your blog! I can’t wait to try this. I heart my cinnamon rolls and sonething tells me this cake just might beat them!

44. posted Oct 8, 2012 at 5:48 pm

I know it’s wishful thinking that second cake was for me (especially since you made it months ago, hehe) Sigh, I’ll just have to dream about this until the weekend when the family can enjoy it with me. Wouldn’t be fair to make it when they weren’t home, would it? Oh wait, it makes 2, I can make it, wait to bake one until dinner but eat the first one in the morning after they go off to work and school and hide any evidence of the first cake! This cake is inspiring evil genius, thank you!

45. dominique
    posted Jan 28, 2013 at 11:19 am

This is in my oven baking right now. Can’t wait!!

46. Aimee C
    posted Mar 28, 2013 at 8:09 pm

I LOVE this….soo easy and tastes sooo good! My second time making it now..cant wait!

47. Lisha
    posted Jun 9, 2013 at 2:47 pm

Absolutely delicious!

48. posted Jul 3, 2013 at 7:52 am

Yum. I’m afraid I have more Day 3s than Day 2s :(

49. Aviva
    posted Jul 15, 2013 at 4:11 pm

So happy to see all the “Cinnamon” it’s great for lowering blood sugar!!! Definitely making these!!!

50. Robin Chesser
    posted Aug 21, 2013 at 2:35 pm

Is it dark brown sugar or light brown sugar needed?

51. cobey
    posted Sep 15, 2013 at 9:49 am

Made this morning, I thought the 1 1/2 TBsp. Baking powder was a typo, seemed like a lot. I used 1 1/2 tsp. Instead. Needless to say, it was pretty flat. Smells amazing and tastes good, just a little for dense. When I make this next time (yes, there will be a next time!) I will definitely use the right measurements.

• posted Sep 16, 2013 at 9:19 am

Nope, you definitely want to use the full amount of baking powder!! ENJOY.

52. Amanda F
    posted Oct 10, 2013 at 10:20 am

Have to ask because this looks so delicious and is hitting my pregant sweet tooth want lol, how do you freeze the second cake? Should you cook it and then freeze it (just have to thaw and rewarm) or do you freeze it raw?

• Amanda F
      posted Oct 10, 2013 at 10:21 am

*pregnant, can’t seem to spell <3

• posted Oct 10, 2013 at 10:56 am

After baking the cakes, let them cool. I then wrap it in heavy duty foil. When you want to eat it, allow it thaw (either in the fridge overnight, or on the counter…about an hour). Make up the glaze and drizzle it on!

• Amanda F
        posted Oct 10, 2013 at 11:55 am

Thank you so much, I will definitely be trying this :)

53. Brenda
    posted Oct 10, 2013 at 12:53 pm

Did you use self rising flour or all purpose! Thanks for info. It looks delicious. Be good for a morning after you have gone all week eating less.

54. Brenda
    posted Oct 11, 2013 at 10:49 pm

Still would like to know what kind of flour you used thanks!

55. Gina
    posted Oct 12, 2013 at 5:16 pm

I wish I had read the recipe more closely. I would have rather baked it in a 9 by 13 pan. And I thought this made a layer cake so I piled one cake on top of the other before icing. Oh well, it tastes delicious even though it doesn’t look that pretty.

56. Donna
    posted Oct 14, 2013 at 1:14 am

The icing recipe calls for 1/4 cup milk and 2 cups powdered suger?
    Isn’t that to much milk? I had to add 3 more cups of powdered sugar.

57. posted Oct 18, 2013 at 4:49 pm

Amazing! This looks so so so good! :)

58. jen
    posted Nov 22, 2013 at 7:38 pm

looks great! has anyone made this without eggs? i’m hoping my regular egg replacer will do the trick…

59. Jen
    posted Feb 2, 2014 at 11:56 pm

This was so good and so easy! Love that it makes two round cakes.

• posted Feb 3, 2014 at 1:32 pm

So glad you enjoyed the recipe!!

• Angie
        posted Mar 2, 2014 at 1:55 pm

Thanks so much for sharing this recipe!!!

60. Denisse
    posted Feb 11, 2014 at 2:38 am

I normally never leave comments on recipes but I MUST now! I tried this recipe last week, had one cake stay at home and had my husband take the other one to work. the next day, I was requested to bake 2 more cakes for my husband’s co-workers, 2 more for my husband (he went crazy over these!) and ill be baking 2 more for co-workers! by the end of this week ill be baking 6 of these delicious goodies!! thank you so much for sharing, you have now made me very popular, lol ๐Ÿ˜‰ I also love that the ingredients for these are things I keep in my pantry all the time so I can whip up 2 cakes in no time, it makes me feel like a pro!

61. posted Mar 1, 2014 at 10:30 pm

I am a college student, I pin all the time. I go to Kendall College…meaning no dorms, but I am just as crafty! I love this recipe, I tweak a lot of things, no milk? Condensed. No brown sugar? Dash of maple syrup…or just don’t fret. I use what I can! I love this recipe…or at least the one I make shifted from it. :)

62. Angie
    posted Mar 2, 2014 at 1:54 pm

I just made this and it’s delicious!! My husband is not much of a person who eats sweets and he LOVED IT!!! It was quick and it looks and tasts like from a bakery!! Thanks for sharing this recipe!!

63. Trina
    posted Mar 2, 2014 at 9:56 pm

Would be nice if someone commented on this recipe and actually baked it first. Lots of yum yums. Hows the recipe??? This is the feed-back I need. I want to know if this recipe is indeed worth making,

• posted Mar 3, 2014 at 9:56 am

Hi Trina. If you scroll above there are at least 6 or 7 readers who commented that they tried it. Some left their own tips, tricks, etc! And, as the blogger who wrote the post, I’ve personally made it half a dozen times and we love it :)

64. shari
    posted Mar 8, 2014 at 7:41 pm

This was really good!!!!! Thank you for the recipe!

65. posted Mar 27, 2014 at 9:20 am

First off, this is by far the BEST cake recipe EVER! I made this the other day and I can’t get over how good it is! I brought it in to work and all of my co-workers wanted the recipe. So very good! Making it again tonight and sharing with my parents and friends!

66. Pingback: March favorites: Pins | A Homebody

67. Jeanne
    posted Mar 31, 2014 at 12:01 pm

I must have done something wrong with the butter/sugar/cinnamon thing. For some reason it seemed I had WAY too much to add to my cakes and it just ended up making a big gooey mess that never fully cooked. It also made a mess all over my oven. What did I do wrong?? Could you add some pics of you adding the butter/sugar and swirling it in? I would really appreciate it!

• posted Apr 1, 2014 at 9:30 am

Hmmm, it is a little gooey, but not undercooked/raw. I’ll have to add photos next time I make it.

• Jeanne
        posted Apr 1, 2014 at 11:09 am

Thanks! I think I must have put too much of the butter/sugar/cinnamon in the middle so even after cooking an additional 10 min it was still undercooked. My kids still ate it and are begging me to make it again. =) Do you add the whole butter/sugar mixture? I also think I should try the 9×13 like you said some others do.
        Thanks for replying!

• Lisa
          posted May 28, 2014 at 1:04 am

Jeanne, I made my cake in a 9×13, and felt there was no way I could use all of the cinnamon mix either. I put the rest in a small bowl to use for cinnamon toast. The cake still seems to have plenty! Can’t wait to take this to work tomorrow!! I did try a small corner and an so eager to have a piece with coffee in the morning. Mmmmm….

68. Tracy
    posted Apr 5, 2014 at 9:25 am

I used two 8″ rounds. Took approximately 50 minutes to bake. Perhaps the 25-30 minute baking time applies to a 9×13″ pan? I added a little cinnamon to the cake batter and to the icing. Kids loved it!

69. Pingback: Foodies Network » Cinnamon Cinnabon Cake

70. posted Jun 15, 2014 at 9:56 am

Sorry, taste good but was too gooey l think from too much butter with the cinnamon. I checked out basic coffee cake and theres is better.

71. Annie
    posted Sep 1, 2014 at 10:30 am

Just made this for breakfast! It’s delicious. Saw it last night on Pinterest and decided to make it this morning!!!

72. Clover
    posted Oct 25, 2014 at 12:11 pm

I know this post is over 2 years old, but I just made this this morning for my family. I followed the recipe exactly except I had 9 inch cake pans, not 8. Baked for 32 min. Turned out wonderful, and delicious. I could have eaten one whole pan by myself. I could see it being gooey if you don’t bake it long enough, but I didn’t have that problem. Definitively will make again.

73. Eva
    posted Oct 25, 2014 at 4:26 pm

I love this cake!! ๐Ÿ˜€

Ok, so today I baked a couple of them and I accidentally forgot the 2 tbsp. of flour in the brown sugar/butter mix! I remembered right after I popped them in the oven and stressed a little over how they might turn out. Well, to my surprise they turned out great! The brown stuff still came out crispy and dark brown! I actually like it without the flour, or next time I may just omit 1 tbsp. instead of 2 just to see the difference!! ๐Ÿ˜€

• posted Oct 26, 2014 at 3:47 pm

I love hearing back when people make my recipes!! Thanks for stopping over and sharing :) Glad it turned out great with your twist on it!