Turkey Noodle Soup

Comfort food for the holidays! Use your leftover turkey for this Noodle Soup recipe or you can also substitute shredded chicken!

This post is sponsored by Dorot and Pop & Cook. All opinions expressed are 100% my own!

Turkey Noodle Soup: great use for leftover turkey, you can also substitute shredded chicken

I’m a little disappointed that I can only find good turkeys in the store around Thanksgiving. I mean, where are the turkeys the rest of the year?

Off on some farm getting fat I’m sure…

So, this time of year, we eat a lot of turkey. Today’s recipe is the perfect solution if you find yourself with some leftovers this Thanksgiving. It’s such an easy recipe to toss together, and it feeds a crowd! A hungry, football watching, crowd.

I love to cook up a few extra turkeys, shred the meat, and keep it in freezer bags until I’m ready to use. You can also substitute chicken if you want, for a delicious homemade Chicken Noodle soup.

While turkey is readily available, I have a hard time finding fresh herbs this time of year. I grow my own in my garden, but by this season, they are wilted and unavailable.

Have you seen the frozen herbs in your grocery store yet? They come in mini trays (like an ice cube tray) perfectly measured and ready when you are! At Walmart, you can find them under the name of Pop & Cook, and elsewhere they go by the name Dorot. The Pop & Cook are in the purple packages, the Dorot are in the red packages…keep your eye out for these in your grocers’ freezer section!

I’m so excited to keep these in my freezer to have when I’m ready to cook! They come in delicious varieties like crushed garlic, chopped chili, crushed ginger, chopped cilantro, and chopped basil. To use in today’s soup recipe, I just popped them straight from the freezer to the soup! Easy, no chopping, no running to the store for fresh herbs. Keep them in YOUR freezer!

Connect with Dorot and Pop & Cook on Facebook.

Turkey Noodle Soup

Rating: 51

Yield: serves 8

Delicious homemade Turkey Noodle Soup using leftover thanksgiving turkey. You may also substitute shredded chicken in this recipe!

• 32oz chicken broth
  • 10 cup water
  • 2 cubes Dorot crushed garlic (or 2 cloves)
  • 2 cubes Dorot chopped basil (or 2 tsp)
  • 4 cup cooked and chopped turkey
  • 2 tsp kosher salt
  • 2 cup sliced carrots
  • 1 1/2 cup sliced celery
  • 1/4 tsp black pepper
  • 1 tsp poultry seasoning
  • 12oz wide egg noodles, uncooked

1. In a large soup pot, heat broth and water over medium high heat. Once soup gets warm, add in remaining ingredients (except noodles) and heat to near boiling, stirring occasionally. Keep covered, this will take about 20-30 minutes, and vegetables will soften.
  2. Once boiling, add noodles and boil uncovered until noodles are desired consistency, about 10-15 minutes. Serve and enjoy!

**I have been selected to be a brand ambassador for Dorot and Pop & Cook. I have been compensated for my time. All opinions expressed are 100% my own!**

35 Responses to “Turkey Noodle Soup”

1. posted Nov 17, 2013 at 1:58 pm

Ooooh love those frozen herbs!!! And this soup, so flavorful!

• posted Nov 18, 2013 at 7:29 am

Thanks Kayle! The garlic and herbs really are magical in this soup!

2. posted Nov 17, 2013 at 2:32 pm

I’m so with you with wondering where all of this “seasonal” foods are! I mean, why can’t they just sell the stuff all year long? Love how you did this soup…perfect for the leftovers!

• posted Nov 18, 2013 at 7:29 am

Thanks Gloria, I know, like candy canes. They totally should be sold all year long too :) And gingerbread OREOS.

3. posted Nov 17, 2013 at 2:48 pm

Love this soup. Perfect for this time of year :) Thanks for sharing.

4. posted Nov 17, 2013 at 4:46 pm

My favorite kind of comfort food! I could have this any day of the week!

• posted Nov 18, 2013 at 7:31 am

Ditto! It’s the perfect cold weather food…noodle soup!

5. posted Nov 17, 2013 at 6:54 pm

I really like having cooked and shredded turkey in the fridge. It and turkey are my favorite meats to throw into soups. I’ll have to give this one a whirl, it looks and sounds so cozy! Soups are my comfort food right now!

• posted Nov 18, 2013 at 7:33 am

Thanks Mary Frances! Let me know what you think if you try the soup. And be on the lookout for these frozen herbs, you’ll love them!!

6. posted Nov 17, 2013 at 7:13 pm

I know! I feel like I need to be my mom and buy a few now for the whole year!

• posted Nov 18, 2013 at 7:36 am

ha!! I so do the same thing! Turkey is such a nice change from chicken…and it works in nearly every chicken recipe too!

7. posted Nov 17, 2013 at 8:53 pm

I love turkey soup and this one looks fantastic!! Pinning!

8. posted Nov 17, 2013 at 9:05 pm

We have been cooking up soups everyday for lunch and this one would for right in! I have not seen those herb trays but definitely going to look out for them!

• posted Nov 18, 2013 at 7:37 am

Once you find them, stock up! They are so great to have on hand in the freezer!! Be sure to grab the ginger too….I’ve got a recipe coming next month for that :)

• Anonymous
        posted Nov 19, 2013 at 2:02 pm

Aimee, you can find these in the freezer dept at trader joes. Have not been able to
        Find them anywhere else.

9. posted Nov 18, 2013 at 6:56 am

We have been making soup quite a bit in the past few weeks. Love this recipe (I use one that is very similar for my chicken noodle too) and those herbs. I will definitely be on the lookout for those!

• posted Nov 18, 2013 at 7:37 am

You’re such a healthy soup eater, I’ve seen that veggie soup! These herbs would be a perfect addition. Keep your eye out girl :)

10. posted Nov 18, 2013 at 8:13 am

Oh, what?! These things are so cool! No, I have not seen these in my grocery store yet but I would probably snatch up a few – who doesn’t love easy, grab & go things in the fridge on busy weekdays? I love using turkey in this soup instead of chicken – I must agree with you, I definitely can’t find good turkey besides in November. I can always find ground turkey and turkey deli meat but the breasts & whole turkeys are no where to be found outside of the holidays.

• posted Nov 18, 2013 at 2:30 pm

Oh you need to keep your eyes peeled for these herbs. They are pretty amazing. I think I love turkey because it is so seasonal, I wonder how I would feel if I could buy delicious turkeys all year long….

11. posted Nov 18, 2013 at 1:39 pm

oooh I love those little frozen herb packs. I also love this soup! definitely making the day after thanksgiving!

12. posted Nov 18, 2013 at 2:48 pm

I love any type of soup. I have never used these frozen herb cubes but I have seen them in the supermarket. I am going to have to try some or at least try and make my own when my herbs are starting to spoil :-)

13. posted Nov 18, 2013 at 4:48 pm

This is comfort food defined! Look at those luscious, soft noodles peeking out of the soup – I love it! This is a perfect idea for leftover turkey, too. Thanks for sharing, Aimee!

14. posted Nov 18, 2013 at 5:57 pm

What a great way to use up leftover turkey! Though I have to admit, there isn’t a whole lot of leftover anything in my house heehee. 😉

15. posted Nov 18, 2013 at 9:04 pm

Those frozen fresh herbs look fabulous, as well as the soup of course 😉 turkey noodles sounds delicious!! Its just starting to get a little chilly here in cali so I am sooo excited to start eating more soup!!

16. posted Nov 19, 2013 at 9:59 am

This soup looks so delicious Aimee! And these herbs – I’m totally looking for this next time I go shopping!

17. posted Nov 22, 2013 at 10:56 pm

This looks so tasty! I love getting recipes for leftover turkey since we usually have plenty!

18. Autumn
    posted Dec 1, 2013 at 1:40 pm

In the summer I like to harvest herbs and put them in the food processor with some olive oil. I then put them in ice cube trays, freeze them, pop them out once frozen and place in bags. When I need them I just grab them from the freezer.

19. Joann
    posted Dec 1, 2013 at 11:25 pm

can this be done in the crock pot, if so how long would you have to cook it? can’t wait to try this looks delicious and also those herbs, will have to look for them when I go to the grocery store:) Thanks so much

20. Karen
    posted Jan 4, 2014 at 3:11 pm

10 cups of water, really? Is that a typo?

• posted Jan 4, 2014 at 3:27 pm

Nope, not a typo. Much of it gets absorbed when you add the noodles.

21. Pingback: Weekly Meal Plans 20 - theBitterSideofSweet