One taste of these Fudgy Chocolate Chip Zucchini Brownies with Chocolate Chip Frosting and you’ll agree they are the most wonderful brownie you’ll ever enjoy!
I think my zucchini crop has FINALLY slowed down. Which means I only have about 3 more zucchini recipes to share this year, haha!!
My kids went off to school this week, but before they did I made a batch of these Fudgy Chocolate Chip Zucchini Brownies with Chocolate Chip Frosting. They had NO IDEA I snuck some zucchini into this delicious treat.
The brownies are so rich and gooey, but then topped with a frosting, they are irresistible.
How to make Zucchini Brownies:
- Mix up all the ingredients for the brownies in one large bowl (no electric mixer required). Let the mixture set in the bowl for about 5-10 minutes. This allows the moisture from the zucchini to distribute. Don’t fret if the batter seems dryer or thicker than a traditional brownie batter. TRUST ME.
- I use semi-sweet chocolate chips for the batter, and mini chocolate chips for the frosting. I like the smaller sized chips in the frosting, but go with what’s in your pantry.
- REFRIGERATE. I find these brownies taste best COLD. Plus it makes them easier to cut and serve. I bake them in the evening, and refrigerate them overnight. THEN, the next day I’ll put on the frosting. Or bake in the morning, refrigerate, then frost before dessert. I also STORE them in the refrigerator. It’s not necessary, but again, I LOVE these chilled!
Love brownies? I’ve got you covered….
- If you love a fudge frosting instead of this chocolate chip frosting, you can find one here on these Chocolate Zucchini Brownies recipe!
- Mint Chocolate Chip Brownies: no zucchini in here..just lots of delicious mint flavor!
- Rainbow Chip Brownies: sometimes called “cosmic” brownies…either way, AWESOME!
- Buckeye Brownies: with a layer of peanut butter, these are over the top delicious!
- Salted Caramel Brownies from Something Swanky
One taste of these Fudgy Chocolate Chip Zucchini Brownies with Chocolate Chip Frosting and you'll agree they are the most wonderful brownie you'll ever enjoy!
For the brownies:
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 2 cups finely shredded zucchini
- 1 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
For the frosting:
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 13x9-inch baking dish with parchment paper. Set aside.
- For the brownies: in a large bowl combine all the ingredients together with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula. The mixture will be very dry. Allow to sit about 5-10 minutes to let the moisture from the zucchini incorporate into the batter. It's okay if it still remains VERY dry.
- Pour into prepared baking dish and bake for 25-30 minutes. Remove from oven and cool completely before adding frosting.
- For the frosting: beat butter and powdered sugar with vanilla and cream for about 3-5 minutes, until fluffy. Fold in chocolate chips and spread over cooled brownies. Refrigerate and enjoy cold!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 315Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 21mgSodium: 185mgCarbohydrates: 44gFiber: 2gSugar: 34gProtein: 3g
*Nutrition facts are an estimate and not guaranteed to be accurate. Please see a registered dietitian for special diet advice.
Today’s recipe for Chocolate Chip Zucchini Brownies was originally published on Shugary Sweets on August 22, 2016.