These Chocolate Chip Zucchini Brownies are the perfect way to sneak veggies into dessert. The zucchini makes these brownies fudgy and moist, and the chocolate chip frosting is the perfect topping!
Why this Recipe is Best
My kids had no idea that the brownies I served them contained vegetables.
- There’s no zucchini flavor in these Chocolate Chip Brownies but the shredded zucchini in the batter makes them oh-so-moist.
- Add some chocolate chip frosting on top and you have a rich treat that may just slide it’s way to the top of the list of best brownies you’ve ever eaten.
- This recipe only needs one bowl, and no electric mixers!
The brownies are so rich and gooey on their own. But, if you’ve read any of my other Brownies recipes before you’ll know that when it comes to brownies, I believe in frosting.
Chocolate frosted brownies are the perfect treat!
- Zucchini- did you know the larger the zucchini the drier it is? If using a small zucchini or frozen zucchini be sure to squeeze out excess moisture BEFORE measuring.
- Cocoa Powder- gives these brownies rich flavor! A dark chocolate cocoa powder or regular unsweetened cocoa powder work best (I love using Ghirardelli)
- Sugar- a combination of brown sugar and granulated sugar gives these brownies the best chewy texture without making them cake-like.
- Vanilla Extract- enhances the flavor of the chocolate. Use a pure vanilla extract or my homemade vanilla extract recipe.
How to shred zucchini
I love using a grater to shred my zucchini! Slice off the end tips, then hold the zucchini against the top of the grater and pull downward.
You can also use a food processor fitted with the shredder attachment to shred the zucchini for your chocolate chip brownies. If you use the food processor, cut the squash in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds first.
Just be careful not to overdo it or you’ll end up with a zucchini puree.
PRO TIP: After mixing the ingredients for the brownies, let the mixture set in the bowl for about 5-10 minutes. This allows the moisture from the zucchini to distribute.
Pour the batter in to your brownie pan, bake and let cool completely before adding the frosting.
Chocolate Chip Frosting
This is a creamy whipped vanilla frosting with mini chocolate chips folded in. The icing is thick and spreadable and I love the taste of the vanilla paired with the fudgy brownie.
To make the frosting, just whip butter and powdered sugar together, along with vanilla and whipped cream. Fold the mini morsels in at the end.
When the pan of brownies is completely cooled, spread the frosting evenly over the top. Cut into squares and serve, preferably with a glass of milk!
Tips & Tricks
- I use semi-sweet chocolate chips for the batter, and mini chocolate chips for the frosting. I like the smaller sized chips in the frosting, but go with what’s in your pantry.
- If you have a ton of zucchini about to go bad, but it’s more than you need in the Zucchini Brownies recipe, go ahead and grate it all. You can freeze whatever you don’t use right away, so you can have delicious Zucchini bread, cakes, muffins and brownies all year long.
- REFRIGERATE. I find these brownies taste best COLD. Plus it makes them easier to cut and serve. I bake them in the evening, and refrigerate them overnight. THEN, the next day I’ll put on the frosting. Or bake in the morning, refrigerate, then frost before dessert.
- If you want to freeze these brownies, do so before you add the frosting. Cut into squares and store in a freezer safe container. When you’re ready to serve them, thaw and make the frosting fresh! However, you can freeze frosted brownies, just know the texture might loosen after thawing.
More Brownie Recipes
- If you love a fudge frosting instead of this chocolate chip frosting, you can find one here on these Chocolate Zucchini Brownies recipe!
- Mint Chocolate Chip Brownies: no zucchini in here..just lots of delicious mint flavor!
- Rainbow Chip Brownies: sometimes called “cosmic” brownies…either way, AWESOME!
- Buckeye Brownies: with a layer of peanut butter, these are over the top delicious!
- Oreo Brownies
Ooey gooey Chocolate Chip Zucchini Brownies are even more irresistible when you slather them in whipped cream chocolate chip frosting No one will ever know the secret ingredient is a vegetable!