You’ll love this easy Chocolate Pumpkin Cake recipe for a quick dessert. Super moist and flavorful, this snack cake is delicious served warm or room temperature.
If you love holiday cakes, be sure to try our Pumpkin Magic cake recipe. The layers magically separate while baking, creating the ultimate treat. Readers also love this delicious wonderful pumpkin cream cold brew to sip while enjoying dessert!
Why this Recipe is Best
The pumpkin puree in these bars makes them moist and cakey, complementing the chocolate in an unexpected and delicious way.
When you’re tired of pumpkin spice everything, Pumpkin Snack Bars with a layer of cocoa flavored pumpkin cake are just the thing for celebrating fall!
- One bowl recipe!
- Simple ingredients.
- No frosting needed.
- Unsalted Butter – Softened slightly to room temperature before using. If choosing salted butter, skip the kosher salt!
- Vanilla Extract– try making my homemade vanilla extract for all your baking!
- Pumpkin puree – NOT pumpkin pie filling
- Cocoa powder – Unsweetened baking cocoa
- Melted Nutella – To drizzle over the finished cake bars
- Powdered Sugar– Dust the tops of the bars before serving
How to Make Chocolate Pumpkin Cake
STEP 1. In a stand mixer, beat together the butter and sugar until creamy. Add egg and vanilla, beat until combined. Blend in the pumpkin. Add flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
STEP 2. Spread half the batter in bottom of greased 13 x 9 pan. Stir in cocoa powder to the remaining batter. Spoon remaining batter on top, swirling slightly with the first layer of batter.
STEP 3. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 25 minutes. Allow to cool before enjoying.
How to grease the cake pan
For these bars, I used my favorite easy way of greasing my baking pans: the butter wrapper!
- After using the sticks of butter, place the buttered side of the wrapper flat on the glass cake pan and coat the pan with a light layer of the butter.
- If you prefer, you can also use baking spray to grease the pan. While I sometimes grease AND flour my baking dishes, it’s not necessary in this recipe.
- Or try my homemade cake release! Easy and always on hand at our house.
Tips and Tricks
- Storage. Store leftover bars in airtight container at room temperature.
- Freeze. I recommend, freezing the pumpkin snack bars before adding any powdered sugar. Cut into bars and place a sheet of wax paper between layers before freezing, so they don’t stick together. These bars will keep well in the freezer for about 2 months. After that, you can expect some changes to taste and texture.
- Be sure to choose pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)!
- Love pumpkin? Try our moist pumpkin bread recipe too!
More Easy Desserts
- Apple Cider Donuts
- Pumpkin Pie Recipe
- Apple Crumble
- Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffins – like Starbucks!
- Peach Hand Pies
Pumpkin and chocolate come together in beautiful harmony in this easy homemade Chocolate Pumpkin Snack Cake.