Layers of Cookies ‘n Cream ice cream, Oreos, hot fudge, and vanilla ice cream sandwiches make the perfect dessert any time of year! Only 5 ingredients for this Oreo Ice Cream Cake!
Got extra Oreo cookies? Be sure to use them in these easy, delicious Oreo Cheesecake Cookies! Or layer them in our Oreo Brownies for a fudgy treat.
Easy Ice Cream Cake
I know many people think ice cream is a summer dessert only. However, in our house, we eat ice cream for dessert several times a week.
And when there is a special occasion or a birthday, I love putting together a quick and delicious ice cream cake treat!
I took that same favorite dessert and gave it an oreo cookie twist.
Enter…the Oreo Ice Cream cake. (almost as good as a strawberry shortcake ice cream bar!)
- This treat seriously takes minutes to assemble.
- Stays fresh in the freezer until you are ready to serve. While summer is definitely over, and the cooler weather is upon us, try making this treat using seasonal ice creams to mix it up!
This is NOT like a store bought ice cream cake with ice cream inside an actual cake. Instead, you layer ice cream sandwiches with MORE ice cream, hot fudge and cookies then freeze it solid. You can slice it just like a regular cake but it’s almost all ice cream–with just the right amount of fudge.
For a birthday, a holiday or any celebration, you can’t do better than this easy Oreo Ice Cream Cake!
- Ice cream sandwiches – The classic rectangular ice cream sandwiches with the chocolate cookies work best. Sometimes I can find the cookies and cream ice cream sandwiches which are delicious too!
- Cookies ‘n’ Cream Ice Cream – Or substitute your favorite ice cream flavor like chocolate ice cream, strawberry ice cream, or vanilla ice cream. You can also use seasonal flavors to make this for a special holiday occasion.
- Oreos – Any Oreo flavors that go well with your ice cream flavors will be delicious!
Step by Step Instructions
- Ice cream sandwich layer. Place 3 ice cream sandwiches on the bottom of a foil-lined loaf pan. You could also use plastic wrap.
- Ice Cream layer. Spread the ice cream over the sandwiches in an even layer.
- Oreo. Crush 12 of the Oreo cookies and combine them in a bowl with hot fudge sauce. Spread the fudge mixture over the ice cream.
- Freeze. Top with 3 more ice cream sandwiches, cover the loaf pan with foil and freeze the cake for at least 3 hours or up to over night.
- Cool Whip. Take the cake out of the freezer and invert it onto a plate. Spread cool whip over the top and sprinkle with the remaining crushed Oreos.
You can eat the ice cream cake right away or stash it in the freezer for later!
Tips and Tricks
- Crushed Oreos. Be sure to really crush those oreo cookies for the filling. This helps make nice even slices when serving.
- Line the Pan. You can use either plastic wrap or foil to line the pan before adding the ice cream sandwiches. This makes for easy removal!
- Serving. Use a sharp knife to cut the ice cream (wiping between cuts). You may want to let the ice cream cake sit out for about 10 minutes at room temperature before slicing.
- Flavors. Switch it up! Use mint ice cream and mint Oreo cookies. Or Chocolate ice cream with mint Oreos. Have fun and make it special for your family.
You probably didn’t let it soften first! To make my ice cream spreadable, I let the carton sit on the counter for 5 minutes or so before adding it to the ice cream sandwich cake.
Keep the cake covered with foil in the freezer until ready to serve.
This cake will taste best if eaten within one week.
More Easy Summer Dessert Recipes
Oreo Ice Cream Cake is a recipe everyone should know how to make. With just a few ingredients and a few minutes of prep time, this dreamy, creamy frozen dessert is as easy as it is delicious.
Wow, this stopped me in my tracks 🙂 this looks very indulgent and I am loving it!
Well, my treadmill could use some mileage after this delectable dessert.
This looks soo up my alley! I LOVE cookies and cream ice cream and this oreo ice cream cake is the perfect dessert! Someone should make this for my birthday! Haha 🙂
I totally agree – ice cream all year round, please! And I also love making it for birthdays and any family gathering because it’s sure to please everyone. My son loves oreos and cookies & cream ice cream so I’m very interested in this. : )
Who could resist this fabulous cake? Not me for sure!
This looks amazing! If you used pumpkin ice cream would you still use the ice cream sandwiches and the fudge/oreo’s?? Could you swap it for ginger snaps and caramel maybe??
My husband eats ice cream year round, too! I always think he’s crazy, but then when peppermint ice cream comes out in November, I’m in too!
Ice cream never goes out of season. Neither does Oreos:) This combo looks so good, even though its 40 degrees outside! What an impressive dessert; love how easy it is!
My older sons’ favorite flavor is cookies and cream! I have to make this for him ASAP! Looks fabulous!
I cannot get enough Oreos in my life. This looks amazing – off to get the recipe 🙂
Those layers look perfect. I’m sure my kids would devour it!
Thanks Melanie, enjoy!! Try to save yourself a piece too 🙂
Wow this looks great! I will take ice cream no matter what season it is 🙂
We eat ice cream all year long too – definitely a year round food! This cake looks awesome and so easy! I love that you can switch it up so easily 🙂
Love the idea of using peppermint ice cream in this cake! So good!
I’ll take peppermint ice cream any way I can get it!
This might be a variation, of that “Zebra cake” recipe, (everyone is talking about) it uses those thin, flat, round, Larger, chocolate “wafers” that are scarce, and possibly hard to find.
Wow! This sounds amazing. Going to see the recipe now 🙂
Ice cream is a year-round thing, for sure. In my house, it sometimes acts as a meal too…! 😉
I want to live at your house. Ice cream…a meal? YES!
What a fun quick cake!!! I eat ice cream all year round. In fact I think we go out for ice cream more in the winter than in the summer.
That is funny, especially since we probably do too!!
This ice cream cake looks delicious. It would be a fab birthday cake. Who doesn’t like ice cream and oreos great combination!!! We eat ice cream all round too! Any day a good day for it!
Agreed! Ice cream year round is the way to go 🙂