Easy Homemade Lemon Curd

Making your own Lemon Curd is actually quite simple! This easy, homemade recipe from Alton Brown is delicious!

Easy, Homemade Lemon Curd: delicious on toast, cheesecake and pie! So easy to make your own too! #lemoncurd www.shugarysweets.com

A couple weeks ago I had to make dozens of vanilla bean cupcakes for an order. Which left me with 15 egg yolks. I’ve thought about making my own lemon curd in the past, but thought it sounded like a difficult thing to do. I mean “LEMON CURD” sounds like something I would never attempt myself. Let alone eat.

Last year though I made some homemade cheesecake bites and bought a little jar of lemon curd. On a whim. I topped the cheesecake bites with the storebought lemon curd and a raspberry.

I was sold. Lemon curd is amazing.

I’ve never made homemade lemon meringue pie…I’m assuming this is how you would go about doing that? Lemon curd tastes like lemon meringue pie filling. AND IT’S EASY TO MAKE.

Yes, I’m yelling at you. Because I’m kicking myself for not attempting this sooner. I’m no curd expert, but I imagine this will be happening more often in my house. I don’t know how YOU all enjoy your curd, but I think on a slice of toast, or english muffin would be delicious. On top of cheesecake is an obvious choice. And tomorrow…I will share how I enjoyed homemade lemon curd. So, today. Go make some curd. Tomorrow come back and find a delicious dessert that WILL happen in my house soon. Again. And again.

Love this recipe? Find more delicious recipes by following me on Pinterest:

Cheesecake Heaven

Copycat Recipes

Rice Krispie Treat Addiction

Don’t miss another mouthwatering recipe from Shugary Sweets! Be sure to follow me:

Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Pinterest | Bloglovin’

I have some other delicious spreads on this site…here are a few of my favorites:

Oreo Peanut Butter Dip: seriously one of my favorite recipes I’ve ever created. This spread is filled with crushed oreos, peanut butter, nutella and white chocolate and is delicious with pretzels, graham crackers or a spoon!

Oreo Peanut butter Dip from www.shugarysweets.com

I love Hummus. This Garlic Hummus is so good and creamy.  Reminds me of the hummus from Aladdin’s!

Garlic Hummus from www.shugarysweets.com

This Reese’s PB Cookie Dough Dip is so creamy and rich. We love dipping pretzels into this peanut butter explosion!

Reese's PB Dip from www.shugarysweets.com

Easy Homemade Lemon Curd

Yield: 1 pint

• 5 egg yolks
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 4 lemons, zested and juiced
  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cold

1. In a small sauce pan with a double boiler, heat one inch of water to boiling. In double boiler (or a metal bowl to go over the saucepan of water) whisk together the egg yolks and sugar. Measure out 1/3 cup lemon juice (discard any remaining juice or save for another use) and add juice and zest of 4 lemons to sugar mixture. Continue whisking over heat for about 8-9 minutes. It will begin to thicken slightly.
  2. Remove from heat. Add butter, one tablespoon at a time, whisking until melted and smooth. Once all butter has been added pour into a bowl, covered, and refrigerated until thickened and cooled. Mine took about 2 hours to chill. Store for up to two weeks in refrigerator. ENJOY.
  3. **recipe from Alton Brown

99 Responses to “Easy Homemade Lemon Curd”

1. posted Feb 18, 2013 at 8:54 am

I have never made lemon curd, but I love it! I just saw some beautiful meyer lemons at the grocery store! I think I need to make this! :) Have a great day!

• posted Feb 18, 2013 at 3:48 pm

I think you need to give it a try!! meyer lemons would be perfect too!

• Rosemarie
        posted Apr 12, 2013 at 6:07 pm

Try it in Chelsea rolls instead of the cinnamon mixture!! To die for!!

2. posted Feb 18, 2013 at 8:55 am

I’ve feared making lemon curd, but you make it sound simple… must try!

• posted Feb 18, 2013 at 3:49 pm

It really is very simple. Under 10 minutes…then refrigerate. EASY.

3. posted Feb 18, 2013 at 9:23 am

It sounds pretty easy to make and looks soo good. I am a huge fan of tart dessert flavors!

4. posted Feb 18, 2013 at 9:29 am

I LOVE lemon curd and this sounds easy and delicious!

5. posted Feb 18, 2013 at 10:02 am

I once made an orange curd out of Cuties and it was darn yummy. Think I need to try this version!

• posted Feb 18, 2013 at 3:51 pm

Orange curd? That’s a genius idea. We eat cuties by the bags around here…I think I’m going to give this a try!!!

6. posted Feb 18, 2013 at 10:23 am

I love lemon curd Aimee, especially on your cheesecake squares!!! :)

• posted Feb 18, 2013 at 3:52 pm

Haha! Love those cheesecake squares. Wish I had made my own curd before now!

7. posted Feb 18, 2013 at 10:28 am

That curd looks so thick & delicious! I want to make a lemon pie right now! Thanks for sharing!
    Amber @ Dessert Now, Dinner Later!

8. posted Feb 18, 2013 at 11:15 am

Homemade lemon curd is truly amazing, isn’t it? I love to make a few batches at a time to keep on hand. It is like magic! :)

• posted Feb 18, 2013 at 3:53 pm

It is magic! I’m so glad everyone on Instagram convinced me to do this!

9. posted Feb 18, 2013 at 11:43 am

AIMEE!! This curd looks freaking amazing! I had an idea for a muffin recipe that would utilize lemon curd, but I was worried it would be too hard to make the curd from scratch. Now I can definitely try it out with this recipe :D I believe I now owe you a muffin heehee

• posted Feb 18, 2013 at 3:54 pm

Not hard at all! And I would love a muffin delivery thank you ;)

10. posted Feb 18, 2013 at 12:21 pm

While homemade lemon curd is really, really good, if I had extra egg yolks, I would be making ice cream!!

• posted Feb 18, 2013 at 3:54 pm

Sure ice cream is a great option too. But I have a lot of yolks around here…

• posted Feb 18, 2013 at 5:11 pm

Can we trade? :)
        I run a series of ice cream recipes (every Sunday in the summer) and I always end up with lots of egg whites (I use 7 yolks for each batch of ice cream).

• posted Feb 19, 2013 at 6:19 pm

Haha!! guess you need to make my white cupcake recipe :)

11. posted Feb 18, 2013 at 1:21 pm

I have actually never tried lemon curd but this makes me want to!

• posted Feb 18, 2013 at 3:55 pm

Oh Nancy I hope you give it a try!!! It’s quite delicious!

12. posted Feb 18, 2013 at 3:19 pm

Lemon curd is so versatile! Thats why I love it. I’ll have to make this recipe soon like today.

13. posted Feb 18, 2013 at 4:31 pm

Lemon curd would be my lover if I ever wanted one. For reals. THat stuff is heaven sent.

• posted Feb 18, 2013 at 6:41 pm

Haha, I had a good laugh on that one…especially since your recent post is Naked californians :)

14. posted Feb 18, 2013 at 4:46 pm

I love curd!

15. posted Feb 18, 2013 at 5:10 pm

I have never made lemon curd before but probably will soon, thanks to your post! I would love to stuff a donut with some!

16. posted Feb 18, 2013 at 6:16 pm

I love homemade lemon curd! It’s the best way to use up egg yolks, and a great filling for vanilla layer cakes.

17. posted Feb 18, 2013 at 7:20 pm

This is easier than I thought. This recipe will go down in archives. Thanks.

18. posted Feb 18, 2013 at 7:53 pm

This sounds so stinking good! And easy! Can’t wait to give this a try.

19. posted Feb 18, 2013 at 11:14 pm

Lemon curd is like sunshine in a jar, love it!

20. posted Feb 19, 2013 at 12:07 am

I (we) just love lemon curd especially on our scones! I must give this a shot!

21. posted Feb 19, 2013 at 2:09 am

Oh I must try this!! Sounds delicious and thanks for sharing!

22. posted Feb 19, 2013 at 8:28 am

This is a jar of heaven. Now you have me tempted to make some with some leftover lemons I have on hand. :)

23. posted Feb 19, 2013 at 9:00 am

This looks so wonderful- I love all things lemon, and I know I will love this! Thanks for sharing such a great idea with us! I have pinned this! :)

24. Carolynn Scoffield
    posted Feb 19, 2013 at 10:48 am

I tried twice to save this via ZipList! Twice got the “oops!” message that they couldnt find the recipe in the system! HELP PLEASE! And THANKYOU!

• posted Feb 19, 2013 at 6:23 pm

hmmmm, I can’t figure out why it’s not working. I’ve emailed tech support!!

25. posted Feb 19, 2013 at 11:11 am

Aimee, this is TOO funny. I just bought lemon curd last night from the store. Now I want to return it and make my own. I love lemon curd so much – and well, everything lemon!

26. posted Feb 19, 2013 at 11:17 am

LOVE homemade lemon curd and it is so easy! I’ve never tried Alton’s recipe before but it looks fantastic! Pinning!

27. posted Feb 19, 2013 at 11:55 am

Mmm lemon curd! So delicious- well anything lemon is to me! I have only made it once years ago for some tarts but this recipe looks easy and your photos have me drooling! Looks like lemon curd is on the to do list now! ;)

28. posted Feb 19, 2013 at 12:28 pm

I LOVE making lemon curd! I just eat it straight from the bowl!! Yum!

29. posted Feb 19, 2013 at 12:50 pm

This sounds great! I’ve thought about trying lemon curd but it seems like the recipes I’ve seen before call for a dozen egg yolks. This seems more do-able! Gotta love Alton!

• posted Feb 19, 2013 at 7:52 pm

A dozen egg yolks? Wow, that’s quite a few. I love this recipe from Alton because my white cake recipe calls for 5 egg whites…a perfect pair.

30. Christine
    posted Feb 19, 2013 at 2:52 pm

We had lemon curd while we were visiting our daughter in England and it is divine. We spread it on our toast and pancakes and thought we had gone to heaven. Hope this recipe is the same. I will make it and let you know.

• posted Feb 19, 2013 at 7:53 pm

Let me know how it turns out!! I’m interested to hear how Alton’s recipe compares :)

31. posted Feb 19, 2013 at 4:25 pm

This sounds totally doable! I thought it’d be really hard and complicated— looove lemon, looove lemon curd. Pinning this! Excited to try it :)

32. posted Feb 19, 2013 at 4:26 pm

I actually love, love, LOVE lemon curd, and have wanted to try making my own for a long time. You’re giving me the push I need. :-) This looks great!

• posted Feb 19, 2013 at 7:55 pm

Oh Ashley you NEED to try it. I never thought something with such depth of flavor is so easy to make!!!!

33. posted Feb 19, 2013 at 5:28 pm

I love lemon curd, and it way easier to make than you would think. I did it for the first time last spring – no turning back!

34. posted Feb 19, 2013 at 10:17 pm

I usually just buy lemon curd when I need it, but I do make my own lemon meringue pies. I guess next time I need some curd, I better do the home made version since you have me convinced it is way easy! Looks gorgeous!!!

• posted Feb 22, 2013 at 6:42 pm

Oh my gosh girl, it is seriously so easy. TRUSSSSTTTTT me!!!

35. posted Feb 20, 2013 at 12:20 pm

I had to come over after I saw your name on another blog comment. I love lemon curd and have never made it. I am contributing to a teacher’s gift basket which is themed after Downton Abbey and I am going to make this!

Found a ton of your boards I want to follow out on Pinterest too.

36. posted Feb 20, 2013 at 12:33 pm

I had to come over when I saw your name listed on a comment.

I love lemon curd, but have never made it. Seems pretty easy! I have to contribute something for a teacher’s gift basket and the theme is Downton Abbey. I’m thinking this is a perfect idea with a tea loaf. Thank you for sharing.

• posted Feb 22, 2013 at 6:40 pm

Love the way you spell your name too ;)
      Oh, I am in love with Downton Abbey, and some little jars of this would be perfect!!! Thanks for stopping by!!

37. posted Feb 24, 2013 at 1:17 pm

I absolutely adore lemon curd! You’ve inspired me to make my own. Pinned it!

38. Daniela
    posted Feb 27, 2013 at 9:27 pm

Just finished making my own lemon curd! It smells and tastes delicious! thanks for the recipe!

• posted Feb 28, 2013 at 7:07 am

You’re welcome. So glad you tried the recipe, thanks for the feedback!

39. Teri
    posted Mar 12, 2013 at 3:56 pm

Has anyone tried making lemon curd with Splenda or another sugar-like product?? If so, what were your substitute measurements? Thx!

40. Dolly
    posted May 15, 2013 at 6:35 pm

This recipe is great and super easy to make! I never considered myself a big time lemon fan but I could eat this stuff by the spoonful! I actually added a little more lemon juice than the recipe calls for (about 1/2 cup) and I think it was perfect and very lemony. I stored the curd in nice little mason jars and also used some of it to make the lemon curd tart that’s on this site. I’ll definitely be making this again and it will be a recipe that I use often. Thanks for sharing!

41. Cindy
    posted Dec 10, 2013 at 9:28 am

Last year I found Lemon Curd at Trader Joe’s and we loved it over warmed gingerbread. I never thought about making it myself. Thanks for the recipe!

42. Alex
    posted Jan 7, 2014 at 2:00 am

Thank you so much for the recipe! It was easy, as you said, and it was also my first time doing it! Thank you for the blogg on it, it encouraged me to try it!

43. posted Feb 20, 2014 at 2:01 pm

turned out perfectly! thanks very much x

44. posted Mar 22, 2014 at 2:46 am

I have been obsessed with lemon curd for a few months now. I have only found one brand that I like and it ain’t cheap! But the ingredients are exactly this recipe. I’m so excited! I love mixing it with Greek yogurt. So very yummy. I can’t wait to make it for myself.

45. Jody
    posted Apr 11, 2014 at 10:40 pm

Talk about amazing! I just made a batch and after tasting it I started another batch. I am going to have friends over so I will be making small tarts with the curd. The leftovers my husband and I will be eating!!

• posted Apr 12, 2014 at 8:02 am

So glad you love it!! And yes, you definitely want to make extra :)

46. posted Apr 19, 2014 at 8:14 pm

I just made this lemon curd and it turned out great! Its quite thick and could be a bit lemonier.

47. posted Apr 19, 2014 at 8:15 pm

I just made this lemon curd and it turned out great! Its quite thick and could be a bit lemonier but that was totally my fault since i didn’t add all of the lemon zest. GREAT RECIPE!

48. Laurel
    posted Apr 20, 2014 at 2:44 am

This tastes so good! I’ve never eaten any flavor curd, and this was my first time making it. I don’t know if it’s gelled up enough. I cooked it over a pot of boiling water for 9 minutes, and the butter melted into it very nicely. But I thought it was supposed to be like a jam consistency, but it’s more like a really thick syrup.
    Like I said, it tastes amazing and I think it’ll be just fine in the mini sugar cookie cups I made. But I wanna make sure I’m doing it right…

• posted Apr 20, 2014 at 6:35 pm

I definitely should be thicker than syrup, maybe not as thick as jam. I hope it gelled up in the fridge for you! So glad you love it!

• Laurel
        posted Apr 21, 2014 at 4:54 pm

The only part of the process I couldn’t follow was using a metal bowl, because I only have glass ones. :/
        That’s probably why mine didn’t turn out right no matter what, since metal conducts heat better than glass and I just couldn’t get the mixture cooked properly without the right bowl or a real double boiler.

Turns out the cookie cups had some serious issues, and the curd stayed the same thinner consistency. I should have just made/bought a pound cake, and served it as a incredible sauce with that and the vanilla whipped cream I made.
        Buuuuut, being the [never]stubborn person I am, I tried slowly warming it up again, and cooking it some more, to no avail.
        I filled the cups right before leaving to go to my in-laws and by the time I got in the car, the cups started leaking. oy. VEY.

I thought nobody would wanna try them since they were turning into a mess, so my husband so graciously stopped at the store on the way for a lemon dessert to take.
        Long story short, every single cup got eaten! A true testament to how good this recipe really is. :D
        My mother-in-law tasted the store-bought dessert a couple hours later and said, “Yours is MUCH better”. lol

• posted Apr 22, 2014 at 10:42 pm

Haha!! I was afraid how this story would end! Glad it was delicious :)

• Laurel
            posted Apr 23, 2014 at 2:17 pm

It is! It’s SO good. If I have a reason to make it again before I get a metal bowl to make it properly, I’m definitely making a poke cake!
            Poke holes into a white cake, pour the warm lemon mixture over the whole thing and let it soak a bit, then chill it in the fridge and top it with homemade whipped cream.
            mmmm….yeowza, I might just make that anyway… :D

• posted Apr 23, 2014 at 2:40 pm

So glad to hear it Laurel. And OMG…lemon poke cake. Keep this quiet, LOL, I have almost that exact recipe coming to the blog next month!! We made it for Easter…a little different, but still amazing :) Stay tuned!

49. Sarah
    posted May 10, 2014 at 6:01 am

I made it, but it turned out runnier than pictured. Any ideas why?

• posted May 10, 2014 at 8:22 am

Unfortunately, not being there to see what went wrong, I”m not sure. Did you let it set up in the refrigerator?

• Anonymous
        posted May 10, 2014 at 12:20 pm

It’s okay. It’s 1:48am. I went and checked it half an hour ago, and it set. Lol. Guess I’m just impatient.
        I made a sponge cake, cut it into three layers. On the bottom, I brushed it with orange simple syrup (as I did to all three layers). Then covered it with the lemon curd and piped whipped white chocolate ganache on. Second layer brushed with the syrup, then more curd and fresh whipped chantilly cream. Top was brushed then placed on. In the morning I will cover it all with chantilly cream. :) happy Mother’s Day!

50. Pingback: Lemon Curd Filled Coconut Cupcakes - On Sugar Mountain : On Sugar Mountain

51. posted Jul 11, 2014 at 4:29 pm

Hi, I’m in the UK and work with grams not cups. Can you give me the equivalent in grams for the sugar and butter please?

Regards, Jode x

52. Al
    posted Jul 16, 2014 at 3:32 am

I made chocolate cupcakes with lemon curd centers! Yummy!

53. Pingback: Lemon Cheesecake - Shugary Sweets

54. kristen
    posted Dec 25, 2014 at 10:27 pm

Do you know if it would be okay to freeze this recipe? Thanks!