Chicken Taco Soup

Slow Cooker Chicken Taco Soup: easy weeknight meal! #crockpot

This is one fabulous crockpot soup! I love soup, and I love my crockpot, so I made you all this tasty little concoction. I don’t know if it actually tastes like tacos, but it has taco seasoning. It’s far different from my tortilla soup (which I’m craving and will be making soon, and sharing that recipe as well).

This makes a lot of soup, so be ready to eat! Or invite friends over for dinner. Or invite me over, after all, I shared the recipe with you! Tomorrow at 6? Perfect.

Chicken Taco Soup

• 1/2 onion, diced
  • 1 green pepper, diced
  • 16 oz jar salsa (use your favorite here- I just use ChiChi’s medium Original)
  • 32 oz chicken stock
  • 2- 11oz cans Mexicorn, drained
  • 1 1/2 oz package taco seasoning
  • 6 oz tomato paste
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • 2 lb chicken breasts
  • 4 oz cream cheese
  • 1/2 cup sour cream

1. In large crockpot, combine all ingredients except cream cheese and sour cream. Cook on low heat for 6-8 hours. Half an hour before serving, remove chicken, shred it, and return to pot. Stir in sour cream and cream cheese.
  2. Serve with shredded cheddar cheese, tortilla strips and guacamole. Enjoy!

44 Responses to “Chicken Taco Soup”

1. posted Sep 20, 2011 at 1:10 pm

This cooler weather has me craving a good hearty soup – and this one looks really yummy!

2. posted Sep 20, 2011 at 1:18 pm

I love when cooler weather comes…means lots of yummy soups! Love anything that can be made in the crock pot!!! Thanks for sharing this…it sounds like one that my family would love.

3. posted Sep 20, 2011 at 1:41 pm

Oh Im such a happy girl now that soup season is here! I am lovin the sound of this one. Sounds so easy and yummy!

4. posted Sep 20, 2011 at 1:51 pm

I love this kind of soup – can’t wait for full-time cold weather cooking!

5. posted Sep 20, 2011 at 2:42 pm

This looks amazing!! I will definitely be making this soon! Thanks for sharing your great recipe!
    Camille @ SixSistersStuff

6. posted Sep 20, 2011 at 4:39 pm

Looks awesome. Can’t wait to make it! Julie @ Julie’s Eats & Treats

7. posted Sep 20, 2011 at 7:01 pm

Thanks everyone. I love soup time! And this is one easy tasty recipe!

8. posted Sep 21, 2011 at 2:26 am

I’ve never seen this in crockpot form! Don’t know why I didn’t think about it sooner!

9. posted Sep 21, 2011 at 4:44 pm

I’ve been collecting crock pot soup recipes! Yours looks like a keep, Aimee! Thanks!

10. posted Sep 22, 2011 at 2:16 am

Looks awesome! I’m always on the lookout for new soup recipes and cooking it in the crockpot is perfect since I’ve recently went back to work part time.

Can’t wait to check out more of your recipes. I found your blog via Sweet Peas & Bumblebees linky party. :)

11. posted Sep 22, 2011 at 11:16 am

Mmmmm…This looks so good! I love finding new crockpot recipes! Thanks!

12. posted Sep 23, 2011 at 9:12 am

This is awesome.. I LOVE IT…YUM..Found ya on hop and officially following ya with smiles..Hope you get a sec to stop in & say hello..:)) I have a fall inspired blog party going on and would LOVE for you to link this awesome piece to it today ) TY

13. posted Sep 23, 2011 at 1:12 pm

Oh yum! I love anything TexMex and with cooler weather right around the corner, this crockpot recipe is just perfect!

I co-host a foodie meme called Friday Food Fight. I would love for you to link up and share your recipe. Hope to see you in the ring!

14. posted Sep 23, 2011 at 5:24 pm

in my slow cooker as we speak. thanks for the awesome idea – looks delish!

15. posted Sep 24, 2011 at 2:13 am

crazy stupid amazing delicious.

awesome for a crowd – put out dishes of tortilla strips, lime, avocado, sour cream, shredded cheddar, jalapenos, green onions, cilantro, etc. and let people go nuts customizing.

huge yield – 14 cups!

16. posted Sep 24, 2011 at 11:30 am

Carla- I”m so glad you enjoyed the soup :) It definitely is a large amount, and perfect for a crowd. Love all the sides you put out!

17. posted Sep 24, 2011 at 6:40 pm

Oh this looks delicious, I make a beef version, but this looks super yummy as well!

18. posted Sep 25, 2011 at 11:42 pm

Oh wow, that sounds delicious! My daughter doesn’t eat red meat so this would be perfect for her! I can’t wait to hear about your tortilla soup!

19. posted Sep 26, 2011 at 11:09 pm

Hi! Your recipe was one of the most popular links on It’s a Keeper Thursday! I’ve featured your recipe on It’s a Keeper! I’d love if you stopped by and grabbed a button.

And, feel free to link up another great recipe this week too!

Christina @ It’s a Keeper
    Follow me on Facebook and Twitter

20. posted Sep 28, 2011 at 11:58 am

This looks delicious! We loved it so much, we’ve featured you on our {{What I Made Wednesday} highlights! Stop by and grab a button. Also, you were the most viewed link, so I’ve added your blog to our sidebar. =) Do you have a button I could use?

21. Anonymous
    posted Oct 6, 2011 at 12:47 pm

This soup is incredible! My family’s new favorite!! Keep the soup recipes coming :0)

22. posted Oct 9, 2011 at 5:28 pm

Aimee this is in my Crockpot right now! My house smells wonderful!! So excited to eat it tonight! : )

23. posted Oct 9, 2011 at 6:34 pm

Holly, I’m so jealous. I love this soup!!!

24. posted Oct 10, 2011 at 12:24 am

Ok.. I just had to come back and tell you how AMAZING it was!!!! Everyone loved it! Im already excited to have it for dinner tomorrow. Ill be posting it on my blog and linking back to you! Thanks for an outstanding recipe girly! : )

25. Anonymous
    posted Oct 13, 2011 at 3:55 pm

Could this be made without a crockpot? Perhaps in a dutch oven?

26. posted Oct 13, 2011 at 5:21 pm

This could absolutely be made on the stovetop. You could just add the sour cream and cream cheese after it’s been heated through, then allow those ingredients to heat as well. Enjoy!

27. Anonymous
    posted Oct 26, 2011 at 6:15 pm

This soup was great! Any idea on how many servings this makes? Trying to figure out the calorie content.

28. posted Oct 26, 2011 at 6:58 pm

@Anonymous- I am so glad you enjoyed the soup. As for servings, I honestly have no idea! I’m so sorry!

29. Candace
    posted Nov 14, 2011 at 7:52 pm

This sounds great but it’s only me and the hubby. Does it freeze well?

30. posted Nov 14, 2011 at 7:58 pm

Candace, freeze the soup before adding in the sour cream and cream cheese. Works perfect!

31. Nicki
    posted Dec 22, 2011 at 4:10 am

Thanks for sharing this recipe! It smells really delicious in my kitchen right now!!! YUM!

32. posted Jan 6, 2012 at 7:18 pm

Made this…was addictive!!! =)

33. posted Jan 7, 2012 at 6:47 pm

This also sounds yummy! I make chicken tortilla soup all the time and its ahmazing

34. posted Jan 21, 2012 at 2:29 am

I’m going to make this in the next week. If you’re going to freeze the leftovers, do you stir in the sour cream/cream cheese when you make it the first time and then freexe it? Or would you freeze it without sourcream/cream cheese and stir it in after you reheat it?

35. posted Jan 22, 2012 at 10:59 pm

Yummy!! I can’t *wait* to try this soup!

36. Anonymous
    posted Mar 1, 2012 at 3:14 am

Loved this soup. I left out one can of corn and added kidney, pinto, and black beans. Also, I mixed in a can of diced tomatoes with green chilis. I used only 1/4 tsp cumin. Turned out delish!

37. Ophelia
    posted Dec 29, 2013 at 8:16 pm

I just made this soup tonight and it was very good. We ate it with some Tostitos chips to add a bit of salty flavor to it.

38. Amanda
    posted Jan 15, 2014 at 5:17 pm

I just made this today. I haven’t added the cream cheese or sour cream yet, and it is good without it. Can’t wait to try the finished product. I did have a couple modifications only because I didn’t have exactly what the recipe called for. I only had 1 can of mexicorn, so I used that and one can if regular corn. Also, instead if salsa I used 2 8oz cans of rotel. Lastly, I just used extra cumin, chili powder, garlic powder and crushed red pepper for the taco seasoning. (It’s basically the same thing). Still came out great.

• posted Jan 15, 2014 at 7:06 pm

I love to hear when people take one of my recipes and make it their own!! Glad you enjoyed the recipe :)

39. Kelsy
    posted Feb 13, 2014 at 1:41 pm

I’ve made this before, and it was delicious. This time around I forgot to grab tomato paste at the store and can’t leave until later today. Do you think it would be okay without it?